Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Same guy in two pics bought months apart

Article about: Got a new pic today and though I had thought he belonged to the same unit as a previous pic I own, it was only when it arrived that I could see clearly that he is in both pictures. The pictu

Default Same guy in two pics bought months apart

Got a new pic today and though I had thought he belonged to the same unit as a previous pic I own, it was only when it arrived that I could see clearly that he is in both pictures. The pictures came from different sellers and the group pic was bought last year and the single a few days back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Same guy in two pics bought months apart   Same guy in two pics bought months apart  

Same guy in two pics bought months apart  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Interesting pictures, Jerry - thanks for showing them. Three brothers perhaps? Are you able to date the photos? I suppose that the single portrait with the overprint is a commercial sample of some sort?

Regards,

Philip

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    Interesting pictures, Jerry - thanks for showing them. Three brothers perhaps? Are you able to date the photos? I suppose that the single portrait with the overprint is a commercial sample of some sort?

Regards,

Philip
    Precise dating is difficult as it is not certain as to what unit they belong to. Probably circa 1900 and the Welsh regiment, but they might be the Monmouths or the Welsh cyclist battalion which would date it as circa 1908-1912. It has also been suggested that they were Montgomeryshire Yeomanry Cavalry circa 1905. First decade of the 20th century seems correct, but who they were is not known as a number of units wore the dragons as collars and cap badges in the FS cap during this period, the Volunteer battalions and the militias were almost a law unto themselves. The latest pic does appear to have been used to advertise the photographers products, though the company name is not clear. They might have been brothers, but at the very least were all part of the same Welsh unit, probably the 7th Bn (Cyclists) the Welsh regiment sometime between 1908 when they were formed to 1912 when they introduced the blackened Welsh dragon collar.
    Regards,

Jerry

That is cool Jerry. Looks like both pics were made
    at the same sitting.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    That is cool Jerry. Looks like both pics were made
    at the same sitting.........
    Indeed Steve, all done at the same time. With the trooper in both, you can even see he has creases in the same places and how the tunic hangs/fits him is identical.
    Regards,

Jerry

Looks like somebody's photo album got scattered...a shame-would have been great to see the entire thing!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wanted to put a" like", but they seem not available anymore....
    So; "I like it"!
    ;-)
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

They're coming,Kris, is the latest word from Dimas!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hey William,
    I hope you ere fine!?
    Thanks for your reply. I just came by the topic and voted; "yes"!
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Nice to have the pics reunited.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast