Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A soldier's Ties to a PBR

Article about: Sorry to stray to a later conflict, but thought that I would share a photo of a Patrol boat River (PBR) and info that I have had for several years. Arthur Carl Bonevich served several tours

?

Default A soldier's Ties to a PBR

Sorry to stray to a later conflict, but thought that I would share a photo of a Patrol boat River (PBR) and info that I have had for several years. Arthur Carl Bonevich served several tours of duty in Vietnam from 1965 until 1970. He did not serve aboard a patrol boat (as far as I know), but rather was a door gunner in a flying scout unit (17th Air Calvary) based in Di An, northeast of Saigon. His outfit served in coordination with PBRs on various missions along Vietnam waterways to identify Viet Cong troop positions, bunkers, ect., which may be his connection with this photo. Sgt. Bonevich was shot down over Cambodia in 1970. He survived the crash and was then med-vac out of Vietnam.

I need to do more research on PBR 747 and try to get a listing of the crew, if that is possible.

Thanks for looking.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A soldier's Ties to a PBR   A soldier's Ties to a PBR  

A soldier's Ties to a PBR   A soldier's Ties to a PBR  

Tom,

A very interesting grouping.. Brown Water Navy stuff is quite desirable and you have a name to go with the photos and history.. That is great..

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Nice!

But here I thought it was Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) that you were referring to in your title
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Smitty!

MAP, its interesting that you mention that. I wonder what the beer of choice was in Vietnam?

?

Good luck on your search.. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A soldier's Ties to a PBR  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Greetings Tom,

There are some unit patches and additional photos posted by Arthur here Vietnam Helicopter insignia and artifacts - C Troop, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment and I have included a document from a New York State award he received in 1971 (below). Unfortunately, I could not find anything else of interest on Fold3.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Cool photo! Thanks Gwar.

Thanks for the info Lance. I appreciate it.