Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945

Article about: Hi Guys, all the pics were kindly given to me by a Veteran. His name is Albert Tudor. Albert was a RAF Parachute jump instructor during WW2 and made 95 jumps. Eventually the RAF banned him f

Reg
    ?

Default Re: Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945

Great historic pics Ade, Just a shame we cant hear the voice-over ! I love the clipped tones of the commentator and then the scripted parts by the "ordinary" people. I can just imagine tho looking at these pics......."Splendid. Carry on soldier..."

Hi Adrian, the badge on the right breast pocket is the para wing. I have come across some photographs in the 50 Para Bde mess in which some paratroopers from that time are wearing their wings above the right breast pocket, even though as per regulations it was to be worn on the right shoulder. Ironically, the wing was shifted to the right breast pocket in 1975, more than 30 years from the time of these photographs.

Hi, welcome to the forum and thanks for the comments.

This is the badge I was asking about?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Training the 44th Indian Airborne Division 1945  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It would probably be from the Chindit operations. The guy appears to be a gurkha and wearing the cap badge of the Indian Parachute Regiment, so he could be from one of the two ex-Chindit brigades (14 or the 77) that converted to the airborne role. By 1945, they had been 'marooned'. Some of the units which served with Wingate's expeditions wore (and still wear) a specific badge on the left pocket. I have a friend from 3/9 Gurkha Rifles who wears it. It's a circular badge depicting the legendary golden Burmese dragon (believed to be a holy Pagoda Guardian adopted by Gen Wingate as the official insignia) on a bottle green background. I hope I'm right.

Thanks again for the input.

I have many more pics to scan.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi, am sorry... missed the first line when I read your reply. Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to more photographs from you as the Indian airborne forces history is very close to my heart. Have quite a few relatives who wore the maroon beret, 1942 onwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2