MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Trying to identify officer's uniform

Article about: Hi all. I have been trying to identify this officer's uniform, but have not had much luck. My query mainly centers around the cap badge and shoulder strap insignia. While the shoulder tabs a

Default Trying to identify officer's uniform

Hi all. I have been trying to identify this officer's uniform, but have not had much luck. My query mainly centers around the cap badge and shoulder strap insignia. While the shoulder tabs and gold braid on the cap suggest a Brigadier or Colonel, the insignia on the shoulder strap do not seem to correspond with this as it appears to be a smaller version of the cap badge rose?

I was thinking that perhaps this chap was a Lord Lieutenant as they seem to wear similar insignia, however from what I have seen the uniform is quite different. I look forward to any opinions on this you may have. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trying to identify officer's uniform  

is it a lord lieutenant of the county.

I guess they would be allowed to wear service dress then? Although as such I haven't found any other photos showing this.

Is that his name at the bottom right, or the photographer?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I think thats the photographer, although on the back is references a Mrs. Jones, so I was sort of working with his last name being Jones.

Hi, According to his cap badge and uniform, he is a Deputy Lord Leiutenant of an English County. Scots LL's wear the Thistle, Irish a Shamrock and Welsh, the Leek. LL's wear the same cap badge but with the rose surmounted by the Monarch's crown and with the addition of a second row of oak leaves embelishing the cap visor. The badge is gold but the visor embelishment iand all buttons etc are silvier. He is also wearing the rank insignia of a DLL rather than military rank insignia again in gold. His gorgets are blue gimp on a red field rather than gold or red on red. Buttons bear the Monarch's crown encompassed with a laurel wreath. He would also have a dark blue high collar Dress uniform for wear on cerimonial duties etc.

Hope that this is of interest to you.

Regards Michael Ryan
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 04-29-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi, According to his cap badge and uniform, he is a Deputy Lord Leiutenant of an English County. Scots LL's wear the Thistle, Irish a Shamrock and Welsh, the Leek. LL's wear the same cap badge but with the rose surmounted by the Monarch's crown and with the addition of a second row of oak leaves embelishing the cap visor. The badge is gold but the visor embelishment iand all buttons etc are silvier. He is also wearing the rank insignia of a DLL rather than military rank insignia again in gold. His gorgets are blue gimp on a red field rather than gold on red. Buttons bear the Monarch's crown encompassed with a laurel wreath. He would also have a dark blue high collar Dress uniform for wear on cerimonial duties etc.

Hope that this is of interest to you.

Regards Michael Ryan
    Excellent information Michael, thank you.

You are most welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!