Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

Article about: I dig your investigatory nature, E! These pics are the real deal, not some archived pics!

Default Re: U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

I dig your investigatory nature, E! These pics are the real deal, not some archived pics!

?

It looks like a camp to me as well. hard to say where though. If you look at the first picture amongst the bodies there is at least one or two inmates but another body looks well fed so I could only guess a guard?
    The other body near the jeeps appear to me from a guard too, since he's wearing civvie clothes but german boots.
    Sad pics from sad times
    Regards

Matt

Quote by Zeller View Post
    It looks like a camp to me as well. hard to say where though. If you look at the first picture amongst the bodies there is at least one or two inmates but another body looks well fed so I could only guess a guard?
    The other body near the jeeps appear to me from a guard too, since he's wearing civvie clothes but german boots.
    Sad pics from sad times
    Zeller, thank you for your input! Your information is valued!

?

I'd like to be more of help. I guess the hint to try to track the jeep number plate is the best lead we have. Hope that someone may furtherly ID these pics.

However, I did some search starting from the barrack picture which looks quite peculiar and I think the camp is Mauthausen, in Austria. Look at this pic: the window, the number on front and the chimneys look almost identical...

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

The camp was liberated on May 5th 1945 by the 41st Recon Squad of the 11st Armoured Division
    Regards

Matt

I'd like to be more of help. I guess the hint to try to track the jeep number plate is the best lead we have. Hope that someone may furtherly ID these pics.

However, I did some search starting from the barrack picture which looks quite peculiar and I think the camp is Mauthausen, in Austria. Look at this pic: the window, the number on front and the chimneys look almost identical...

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

The camp was liberated on May 5th 1945 by the 41st Recon Squad of the 11st Armoured Division
    That is some INSANE research on your part! WOW! I gotta go to bed now, but thanks for your research! I hope this thread lives on, and that I can obtain more info. PS-Any jeep info will be key!

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

The GI in the one photo almost looks like he has an Armoured Division patch on his left shirt shoulder, if you look real close....I think.

?

here's the soldier detail. I would say it's a chevron but I am no expert in US uniforms (nor german if that matter!).

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

maybe Sergeant ?

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC
    Regards

Matt

here's the soldier detail. I would say it's a chevron but I am no expert in US uniforms (nor german if that matter!).

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

maybe Sergeant ?

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC
    I too thinks he looks like a Sgt! Good work, men!

?

Looking more carefully, above the chevron there is a line that may look like the triangular shaped Armoured Division patch. But I cannot tell if it's a scratch on the film or an insigniaU.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC
    Regards

Matt

I would propose that the photo's were taken in one of the 11 Kaufering sub camps of the Dachau main camp.

Looking closely at the jeep, it appears to have a divisional badge that closely resembles that of the 36th (Texas) Infantry Division. They liberated some of the Kaufering sub camps between 27-30 April 1945 in the Landsberg-Kaufering and Dachau areas.

ATTACH=CONFIG]231756[/ATTACH]

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

The camp called Kaufering IV closely resembles the photo's you show as the SS burned prisoners alive in barracks, shot and attempted to burn them in the camp grounds. They also took prisoners out of the perimeter fence and murdered them in the nearby woods. This is one of the very few camps where all these things occured.

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHICU.S. GI pics-GRAPHICU.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

Finally, the barracks shown in the vet's photo's and the one posted by Zeller are the same because the design was generic, nearly all camp barracks were built to a fixed design plan either free standing of wooden construction on a stone or concrete base, or the simpler, cheaper (and much worse) bunker type, a wide trench with a pitched roof put on top.

U.S. GI pics-GRAPHICU.S. GI pics-GRAPHICU.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC

With the pictures that you have posted here, and the known facts of what was found at Kaufering IV,which in many aspects were unique, I believe that there is a more than fair chance that this is where the photo's were taken.....But it ain't proof!

Regards, Ned.

P.S. Sorry but the divisional badge for comparison to that on the jeep has ended up at the bottom of the post for some reason. Bugger.
    Attached Images Attached Images U.S. GI pics-GRAPHIC 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast