Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual Battle of Malta Photo

Article about: I'd like to post this photo for discussion; This photo was (according to the site I found it on) taken by Sgt William (Bill) lazell, 7th HAA Regiment RA, 27th Battery, Royal Artillery, and i

?

Default Unusual Battle of Malta Photo

I'd like to post this photo for discussion;
    This photo was (according to the site I found it on) taken by Sgt William (Bill) lazell, 7th HAA Regiment RA, 27th Battery, Royal Artillery, and is supposedly from 1941, in the Grand Harbor of Malta.

I'd like to know what a USN crew was doing manning an AA Gun, and if it was possible for M1s to be fielded so early? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers,
    Martin

Default Re: Unusual Battle of Malta Photo

Martin: I will offer two opinions and ask a question. First the opinions: It isn't 1941 and the gun crew is Army, not Navy. There might be two sailors in the photo, one in the foreground next to the baseball bat and one standing to the right of the gun. The rest look like US Army. If your question about the issue of an M1 refers to the Garand, cal. .30; I don't see one in the photo, but then I'm old and my eyes are bad. None-the-less, it's an interesting photo that appears to have been taken in the Mediterranean. Dwight

?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    I'd like to post this photo for discussion;
    This photo was (according to the site I found it on) taken by Sgt William (Bill) lazell, 7th HAA Regiment RA, 27th Battery, Royal Artillery, and is supposedly from 1941, in the Grand Harbor of Malta.

I'd like to know what a USN crew was doing manning an AA Gun, and if it was possible for M1s to be fielded so early? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers,
    Martin
    I do believe he was referring to all the M-1 helmets layed out on top of the sand bag wall on the right I wish it was possible to enlarge the image a little more as the one soldier looks to be wearing a a daisy mae style cap with the brim turned up interesting photo to be shur

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 04-08-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Mark: That gave me a laugh. To me an M1 is a Garand cal.30 and the lid was a steel pot, but as I said above, I'm old and it was a different Army. But you're right, that does look like a Daisy Mae fatigue hat the guy directly behind the gun is wearing. Dwight

?

I have a copy of this image, or one very much like it (not to hand). As already mentioned, it shows an American gun crew. The photo was probably taken around the time of the Allied invasion of Sicily (Operation ‘Husky’). The place is Saint Paul’s Bay, Malta.