Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US Navy SeaBees -My Grandpa's Scrapbook

Article about: brilliant bill

Default Re: US Navy SeaBees -My Grandpa's Scrapbook

Hi Bill, thanks for sharing it with us, you cannot beat family items. I really like the pages showing the insignia.

Cheers, Ade.

?

thanks Ade! Ya, the insignia was interesting. Im not sure where he would have got it from? seems to be from a magazine or similar tho.

seabeevol
    ?

Do you have his year book (37th NCB)? The Seabees call them Cruise Books.

I have accesss to all Seabee Cruise Books. I headed up an all volunteer group and we scanned all WW II thru Vietnam era Seabee Cruise books. We did it for the Seabee Museum. I have helped dozens of family members get their Seabee relative's Cruise Book, pictures etc.

Let me know.

Seabeevol

seabeevol
    ?

37TH BATTALION
    Commissioned at Camp Endicott, Davisville, R. I., on Oct. 28,1942, the 37th Battalion was transferred to the Army Base. Norfolk, Va., Dec. 14, and two days later embarked for Noumea, New Caledonia, where they arrived Jan. 18,1943. The outfit moved in two echelons to Guadalcanal, arriving Sept. 1 and Sept. 3.1943. Leaving Guadalcanal in three echelons, the first echelon arrived at Ondonga, New Georgia, Sept. 12. The second and third echelons got there Sept. 13 and 15. Moving again in February 1944 in three echelons, the outfit arrived on Green Island, Feb. 15,19 and 24,1944. Bound for home, the Battalion embarked on Oct. 4,1944, and arrived at San Francisco on Oct. 26. In July 1945 the 37th began its second overseas tour of duty by sailing for Okinawa and were there at the war's end.

patty11
    ?

Hi Bill T, I am one of Frank's daughters. One of Frank's Grandsons found this site. Thank you so much for posting Uncle Tom's scrapbook. I had no idea it existed. I'm guessing that you are one of Jeannie's sons. Hope you are all well. Dianne

Now that's what I like to see.
    Congrat's to all involved.
    All the best
    Dave

A fantastic piece of military and family history. My wifes grandfather also was a CB during the war but nobody kept much of a record of who he was attached to while serving in the Pacific. We need to do a bit of research ourselves and get the story straight.

?

Quote by patty11 View Post
    Hi Bill T, I am one of Frank's daughters. One of Frank's Grandsons found this site. Thank you so much for posting Uncle Tom's scrapbook. I had no idea it existed. I'm guessing that you are one of Jeannie's sons. Hope you are all well. Dianne
    Hi Diane!

Yes, I am certainly Jeanne's son! Wow, what an awesome suprise it was to see your post! I have been collecting ww2 militaria ever since Grandpa (Tom) had handed this down to me. I have been in possesion of Grandpa's scrapbook for about 10 years now, and it is the most precious thing in my collection. I would really love to share some of the letters that your Dad had written to Gramps when he was serving in the Pacific. There are also some interesting letters from Frank and Tom's father, who was also serving at the same time. I have been able to trace Frank's service records from the US archives (service #, personal info, etc) as well. I had the pleasure of meeting Frank many times, but the most memorable are the times in Florida while in my teens. Part of my reasoning for posting this, was to keep Frank and his father's memory alive, which is most important to me and to my fellow collectors/history buffs.
    Please, if you get this....can you send me a PM (Private message) through the forum so we can talk? I would really love to send or email you scans of all of the letters that I know you will find most interesting. There have to be at least 25 of them! By the way, Is Frank's grandson interested in ww2 history too? Thank you so much for posting, and my Mom says hello.....she was happy to hear your name!
    -Bill (jeannes oldest son)
    Last edited by Bill T; 04-26-2012 at 07:03 AM.

?

Quote by seabeevol View Post
    37TH BATTALION
    Commissioned at Camp Endicott, Davisville, R. I., on Oct. 28,1942, the 37th Battalion was transferred to the Army Base. Norfolk, Va., Dec. 14, and two days later embarked for Noumea, New Caledonia, where they arrived Jan. 18,1943. The outfit moved in two echelons to Guadalcanal, arriving Sept. 1 and Sept. 3.1943. Leaving Guadalcanal in three echelons, the first echelon arrived at Ondonga, New Georgia, Sept. 12. The second and third echelons got there Sept. 13 and 15. Moving again in February 1944 in three echelons, the outfit arrived on Green Island, Feb. 15,19 and 24,1944. Bound for home, the Battalion embarked on Oct. 4,1944, and arrived at San Francisco on Oct. 26. In July 1945 the 37th began its second overseas tour of duty by sailing for Okinawa and were there at the war's end.
    Thank you for this! Frank had written down all the places he had served for me, and I actually still have it in my wallet to this day. From what he could remember, he was at Guadalcanal, Munda, New Caledonia, gasaval? (sorry, could never read it), and Okinawa. Might not be in that order, but that is what he had written for me many years ago!

PS. thank you to all who have commented, I havent checked this thread in a while, or else I would have responded earlier!

Great piece of history! Much respect for his service!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast