Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive

Article about: This is one of the favourite groups in my collection and, certainly for collectors of the United States Navy, I would rate of some small historical importance. The archive is from Lt Milton

Default USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive

This is one of the favourite groups in my collection and, certainly for collectors of the United States Navy, I would rate of some small historical importance. The archive is from Lt Milton Herman USNR, and is a time-capsule of his service commanding a Mine Sweeper in the Mediterranean during WWII.

Firstly, the man:-

Milton Herman was born on the 16th July 1913. Qualifying as an Attorney at Law, he joined the USNR on the 11th July 1940, serving as an enlisted rating for a year. However, he rejoined the service soon after the outbreak of war, this time with a commission, which was awarded on the 13th March 1942.

He undertook a course on Minesweeping, joining the minesweeper USS YMS-15 on the 16th September 1942, and becoming its Executive Officer in December that year. YMS-15 saw the majority of its service in the Mediterranean, initially in North Africa, then Sicily and Italy. Appointed First Lieutenant of YMS-15 in April 1943, his performance was such that he was given his own command, USS YMS-27 in January of 1944.

USS YMS-27, under Herman’s command, took part in the landings at Anzio, and for his services he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal. The citation reads:-

For gallantry and intrepidity in action as Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. YMS-27 during the amphibious landings in the Anzio-Nettuno area, Italy, on 21-22 January 1944.
    Lieutenant Herman skilfully and successfully executed the hazardous operations involved in sweeping ahead of the assault waves through an enemy minefield, in the approaches to Anzio, Italy. The successful accomplishment of this mission made it possible for the assault waves to land without previous damage from mines. Subsequently additional areas were swept under repeated direct air and artillery attacks. The early and accurate accomplishment of all these tasks contributed to the successful landing and support of our assault troops.
    The conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity and outstanding devotion to duty displayed by Lieutenant Herman reflects great credit upon himself and the Naval Service
    .”

Herman was to be the last Commanding Officer of the USS YMS-27, for on the 9th October 1944 he was ordered to hand over the vessel to the French Navy, who would operate the ship as the Hortensia (D-333).

Herman was finally discharged from service on the 2nd November 1945, and passed away on the 11th October 1997 aged 84 years.

His service would earn him the following awards:-

Bronze Star
    American Defense Medal
    American Campaign Medal
    European Theatre of Operations Medal (1 Silver Battle Star)
    WWII Victory Medal

The Silver Star (5 Battle Stars) on the EAME Medal was awarded for the following operations:-

USS YMS-15
    Tunisian operations
    Sicilian operations
    Salerno Landings

USS YMS-27
    Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings
    Invasion of Southern France

The Archive comprises:-

His awards:-

- - ------- - -

His Cap, complete with covers:-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive   USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive  

His personal file, including numerous letters, movement orders, certificates, citations and commissioning document signed by James Forrestal:-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive   USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive  

USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive   USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive  

The complete file and ships inventory from the USS YMS-27 when he handed it over to the French Navy in 1944. The inventory numbers over a hundred pages, and details every last nut & bolt on the vessel, including ammunition and victuals:-

- - ------- - -

Lastly, the flags removed from USS YMS-27 when it was handed over to the French Navy.

Commissioning Pennant:-

USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive   USS YMS-27 - The Ultimate Archive  

The Jack:-

- - ------- - -

The Stars & Stripes:-

I just talked to my Dad, and he remembers meeting Milton Herman. Herman owned a truck dealership after the war and my grandfather purchased a truck from him. My grandfather served aboard the YMS-27 during WWII with Herman. I got to meet a few of the crew members myself when I was younger.

Default Thanksgiving Menu

Quote by sewwhattom View Post
    I just talked to my Dad, and he remembers meeting Milton Herman. Herman owned a truck dealership after the war and my grandfather purchased a truck from him. My grandfather served aboard the YMS-27 during WWII with Herman. I got to meet a few of the crew members myself when I was younger.