Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VJ Day in Honolulu

Article about: One HECK of a clip!!! That is some classic Americana! Such a golden age, and no people with piercings in their faces and mulit-colored hair! Ahhhh, the good ole days!

Default VJ Day in Honolulu

A good friend of mine forwarded an interesting film clip to me. A man has put together amateur film his father took of spontaneous celebrations that sprang up in Honolulu on V J Day. A very interesting piece of historical footage from nearly 67 years ago today. Here is the link:
    VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945 on Vimeo
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Default Re: VJ Day in Honolulu

My mother was working downtown when they announced VJ Day.....not being a smoker, she celebrated by handing out sticks of Chewing gum...lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

That is excellent. Colour always brings things to "life"

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Super images and a great soundtrack

I would love to have experienced wartime Hawaii !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

good that was mr coleman

?

Very poingnant film.
    You see WWII the vets that are left today and they are old men at the end of their lives but as the film has captured them they were young men that stepped forward and served and because of them my generation grew up in the golden age of the United States in the 20th century.
    I would like to say to them, Thankyou gentlemen it has been one hell of a ride.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Very poingnant film.
    You see WWII the vets that are left today and they are old men at the end of their lives but as the film has captured them they were young men that stepped forward and served and because of them my generation grew up in the golden age of the United States in the 20th century.
    I would like to say to them, Thankyou gentlemen it has been one hell of a ride.
    Steve-
    You have put in to words exactly what I also felt while watching this film. Well said.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Excellent footage, without which, regardless of nationality, these knights would be lost to time. Thank you .

In the 28 years I have been a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, I have had the honor of meeting more WWII veterans than I can count. Unfortunately, now I can barely count the ones I know on both hands. I just lost one of my oldest and last Uncles last week. Joe Kelley, USN, Sea Bee's. His job was to clear the beaches of mines and barbed wire for the Marines. He has always been one of my heroes.

Burt

That was a great film. My dad was there, in hospital, recuperating from his wounds he recieved at Iwo Jima. My uncle made it through the European campaign without a scratch. Both are gone now, and there are still so many questions. My dad never talked about the battle, just how they made hooch from coconuts, when the first one blew up, they knew the rest were ready lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast