Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Article about: Here is the the inside of the liner. Sorry it took so long to post! It's dirty... but even after clearing where the maker mark should be... I couldn't find anything!

Default Re: The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Nice pics Giz!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Hi Fellows,

My neighbor brought over his father's helmet and some more photos. Some of the photos are VERY graphic... should I still post them up here?

The helmet is very cool. Beat up, but personalized!

?

Do it please i really want to see them!
    Ryan

Here is a photo of my neighbor's father, and his helmet. My neighbor admitted to taking out the liner of the helmet and using it as a crash helmet for a soapbox derby race when he was in the scouts.

I'll wait for official permission from a Mod before posting the graphic photos...

The War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor

Here is the front seam, fixed bale helmet. The markings on the helmet shell are WWII vintage. If not done during the war, then immediately after. The S.G.S. is the vet's initials, and 139 may be a unit he was in. Obviously the Okinawa is where he did a lot of fighting. My neighbor says his father was a member of the "fighting SeaBees."

The War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My NeighborThe War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The War Through the Eyes of My Neighbor  

?

Thats Awesome Joe! Hopefully those pictures get approved!
    Ryan

A quick GOOGLE search reveals that the 139th SeeBee Battalion did indeed fight on Okinawa. So that's what the 139 on the helmet means.

Great story and photos Giz. I find it amazing the Japanese put a "mum" on a Baka. Very interesting. There are many photos of bodies, bones, and other atrocities to human beings on the forum. If it's war related, the moderator will not object.

Jay

Alright, I'll go ahead and load up the gruesome pictures. If a mod sees them as unfit, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO REMOVE THEM!

This is the only photo with a caption. It says: "Dead Japs at Naha (Okinawa). May 10, 1945."

I find this photo the most striking... The soldier (I'm assuming he's a Polynesian who became a guide or helper for the U.S. forces) is absolutely terrifying.

Certainly captures the terrible results of war. Looks like the first two guys were killed by flame throwers, which were used regularly in the island campaigns. I wonder what the story is on the guy that was beheaded? Looks like maybe he was killed by the damage to his left eye and then the head was taken as a trophy. Interesting photos, and the victor is wearing an american sergeant's uniform top.

Jay

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast