Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What is this?

Article about: Hello all, My grandfather received this certificate during the war but I can not find out exactly why and what for. He was in an artillery battalion. It is not listed in his service records

?

It’s possible that he could have. He was in the 98th infantry division and they did train for the invasion of Japan

Quote by bsiwula1 View Post
    Is it possible this was a requirement to qualify for a beach master? They were responsible for coordinating landings but in a sense were shoreline lifeguards if necessary I suppose? Just a guess. Best regards.

Brian

Edit: wrong military branch
    Hi Brian
    Don't think the branch of service was an issue. One would think it would have been a requirement for combat engineers or Naval personel. But there is no reference of discrimination between branches. Could have been for a beach master, but logically one would think special forces or engineers.

I posted it on another forum. Maybe we get some more info on it

I don't know if this might be relevant but a quick Google search shows that 923rd FA Bn was part of 98th Inf Div stationed in Hawaii at the time this certificate was issued. APO 961 was in Hawaii

Maybe this is a clue or a lead?

Perhaps this relates to the type of non-standard local training carried out by many armies in base locations.

In the British Army this kind of thing is known as "Adventure Training" and whilst being good for morale it has the serious purpose of toughening soldiers up both physically and mentally for some of the rigours of combat in a generally enjoyable (for most!), less resouce and cost intensive manner as well as being less traumatic!.

This type of training tends not to appear in the main "service records" but only in unit level 'P' files where it helps local commanders evaluate minor units and individuals.

Chronological History - 98th Division

Just a thought!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

He was training for the invasion of Japan, could that be of some relevance?

Think Mark gave a logical, historical analysis of the OP. Unlikely you will get a better opinion/observation.

Quote by kwc271 View Post
    He was training for the invasion of Japan, could that be of some relevance?
    I would put money on it! "Train hard, fight easy" as they say!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Very cool! Thanks everyone!

MAP
    ?

Great team work! Love it when a mystery is solved!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2