Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW 2 Military surrender paper

Article about: Anyone know if this is authentic?

Default WW 2 Military surrender paper

Anyone know if this is authentic?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW 2 Military surrender paper   WW 2 Military surrender paper  

Default Re: WW 2 Military surrender paper

The writing looks pretty new, i don't think this is original.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

It looks as if the same pen was used for all the signatures.

Not authentic! Look at paragraph 4 where it says on behalf of the United Nations?
    This document is dated the 7th May and the United Nations did'nt come into exsistence until the 24th of October 1945!
    Not the cleverest of fakers! Also the typewriter used looks far to crisp and modern to make it a period piece.
    Maybe they should use " The League of Nations " next time they attempt something like this.
    Kris....

I too do not think it is authentic - however the term United Nations was in use at the time of the surrender.

There is a copy bearing the same number but with punched filing holes here:-

End of World War II in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the same as is found on the US Government site -

Our Documents - High-Resolution PDFs of Surrender of Germany (1945)

Regards

Richie

Thanks Everyone!
    This was found by a friend of mine who bought a art book in a garage sale and the document was folded in half inside the book. Looking at Richie`s links you can see some small discrepancies with my document and the one on the links. The number two next to the French General`s signature on the links document is very near his name. On mine it is underneath the AEF officers name. Another one is the 2301 hours, it is much larger then mine, it almost fills the whole space. Does anyone know how many of these documents were actually signed? There could not have been only one, I would think several of the same document were signed for security of the document, but maybe it is wishful thinking! Looks like I need to find an authenticator to put this to a rest.
    Cheers!
    Kevin

Hi Chris, Check out Richies links.... I don`t know!
    Kevin

Found this on the US website

"This instrument of surrender was signed on May 7, 1945, at Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's headquarters in Rheims by Gen. Alfred Jodl, Chief of Staff of the German Army. At the same time, he signed three other surrender documents, one each for Great Britain, Russia, and France."

So that makes four at least.

Regards

Richie

Hi Richie,
    Do you think they would all have the same number on them? I am sure all the other documents are in safe keeping in their respective countries, so it points to a pretty good fake I guess!...... unless there were more then four!

Cheers!
    Kevin

?

Here's an interesting site that gives a little more info on the document.

German WWII Surrender Documents and Photographs

They state there were 15 documents typed in English, some of which could have been signed. In addition, several unofficial sets were created as war souvenirs. It should also be noted that I found several websites that offer reproductions of the document.

Your document has some age to it, however it of course is likely that this document was reproduced for sale to the public not long after the original(s) were signed, much like other historic documents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast