Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 portraits pick up !

Article about: picked up these two nice portraits over the weekend in a local charity shop. the portrait of the WREN is named as Thyrza Guthrie, HMS Scotia, a quick search found HMS Scotia was a naval comm

jwp
    ?

Default WW2 portraits pick up !

picked up these two nice portraits over the weekend in a local charity shop. the portrait of the WREN is named as Thyrza Guthrie, HMS Scotia, a quick search found HMS Scotia was a naval communications training centre in the former butlins holiday camp at Ayr, Scotland from 1942-1946, the chap in the slouch hat is unnamed but I think he is wearing the insignia of the Royal West African Frontier Force, I think they saw service in Burma during WW2. Cheers, John.WW2 portraits pick up !WW2 portraits pick up !

Very nice john, the slouch hat picture is very good. He appears to have a tailored austerity BD, exposed buttons but pleated pockets so perhaps an Indian example with altered collar and upgraded buttons.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

Thanks Jerry, I think the spelling of the ladies Christian name is of Dutch origin.

jwp
    ?

Wonder if this could be the lady in question ??WW2 portraits pick up !

Hi John, found the following, that might be of interest (it's sure to be her). Cheers, Tom

Thyrza Louise Guthrie
    Born 3rd Dec 1916 in Scotland and died 27th May 1991 in Pathhead, Midlothian, Scotland.

jwp
    ?

Quote by thorne83 View Post
    Hi John, found the following, that might be of interest (it's sure to be her). Cheers, Tom

Thyrza Louise Guthrie
    Born 3rd Dec 1916 in Scotland and died 27th May 1991 in Pathhead, Midlothian, Scotland.
    Thanks Tom thats great !, I did a few searches on Ancestry with no luck and I think the navy list I posted above may be wrong, where did you turn up the info ? anyway much appreciated indeed,
    best regards,
    John.