Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1942 springfield bayonet.

Article about: hey guys this week i recieved a 1942 dated springfield 16" bayonet. The cool thing about it is that it belonged to my great grandfather. He served during ww2 and brought it home as a so

Default 1942 springfield bayonet.

hey guys this week i recieved a 1942 dated springfield 16" bayonet. The cool thing about it is that it belonged to my great grandfather. He served during ww2 and brought it home as a souvenier. He joined the FDNY after the war and unfortunantly lost his life in the line of duty but they named a fireboat after him. This fireboat was commisioned in 1953 and named the John D Mckean. It helped ferry people from the 9/11 disaster while also pumping water to help put out the flames. It also rescued people after the airliner landed in the Hudson.

Here are some pics of the boat:

Fireboat John D. McKean

But having this Bayonet with all the history behind it is amazing. Although i never met my Great Gran pa he is my hero. And i am proud to now own my hero's bayonet

Default Re: 1942 springfield bayonet.

Thats a very interesting story! Its too bad that he lost his life in the line of duty, but it really shows you that he was a true hero
    You have all the right to be proud!

Regards,
    Finn

thank you finn, I tried to post pics of it but i could figure out how to. And to me my great grandpa was my biggest hero. He served his country in WW2 and continued to serve his country there after and gave his life to save others.

Steps to posting pics
    1. click advance post (next quick post)
    2.go to attachments (paper clip and paper) (click on it)
    3. there is another window that opens up, click add files. ( add files )
    4.in little windows thing that pop up click on select files. (right below basic uploader)
    5. navigate to picture (click on picture and then click open)
    6. back to that little window thing, click up load files ( in middle of to other options)
    7. wait for it to up load, after upload window thing will disappear, the picture(s) will now be in the home section and attachment section
    8. click insert inline. (do not click done)
    9. buch of words and ) and [. that your picture. when you post it will appear

hope this helps (i want to see that bayonet)

thanks franz i will post it soon!

Nice story. I cannot wait to see the pictures.