Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

anyone seen a spike bayonet scabbard like this before ?

Article about: found several of these recently in a dealers box ... any ideas as to why the modification was made ?

Default Re: anyone seen a spike bayonet scabbard like this before ?

New one on me too.

As the scabbard wouldn't fit into a 37 Pattern frog, the bayonet would have to be carried "fixed" with the scabbard on, Russian style.

Another thought: Helves of post-1942 entrenching tools sometimes had lugs on the end so that a bayonet could be attached and used as a mine probe.

Can't imagine that this contraption would make a better probe than a bare pig sticker, but I'm finding in hard to get inside the head of the character who decided to put a ring around the scabbard.

BTW, post-war, thousands of pig-stickers (unadorned) were sold as tent-pegs.

Cheers,

Pat

This bayonet intrigued me enough to e-mail a couple of well known knowledgeable collectors in this field.

Firstly I tried Ralph Cobb who knows a lot about MkIV bayo's but he hadn't seen anything like it before, and suggested that I get in touch with Graham Priest, another esteemed collector. I would like to thank both Gents for their time in corresponding with me.

Here is Graham's reply:-

Dear Ian,
    I was able to buy one of these scabbards from the same source. Mine is a US made No.4 Mk II bayonet in a Canadian No. 4 Mk I scabbard. The Mazak mouthpiece is unmarked, but there is a faint 'C arrow' in the centre of the stud. The collar is 35mm diameter and 4mm thick, neatly welded and painted with the original black gloss paint found on the remainder of the sheath. The collar is 135mm from the ball tip.
    A conventional P.37 frog will only fit over the open end of the sheath and is no more secure when in place. If it has a button -hole the lower loop is slghtly compressed but security is not helped. If the bayonet/scabbard is pivoted on the collar it is top heavy.
    Various proposals have been made.
    1) Tool style rack fitting for an APC. (If so why have a scabbard at all?)
    2) Fencing deflector to aid practice movements. (Too small?)
    3) Bipod leg. (Collar too high from tip. Would sink in mud too much?)
    4) Unknown attachment for equipment/webbing etc. (Weight added would be high, so what advantage?)

I am baffled.

I wonder if it was a pennant arrangement? Perhaps a unit insignia or similar was slid over the sheath?

Any thoughts?

Regards

Graham

So, the mystery continues........

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hello Gentlemen
    very, very strange
    never seen before
    I post it on a french forum, may be someone knows ?
    cordially
    Didier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2