Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Australian L1A2 bayonet steel

Article about: Greetings: Would anyone know what type of carbon steel, and at what RC hardness, an L1A2 (long point) bayonet blade is? I've read that bayo steel is typically not suitable for a useable knif

jims
    ?

Default Australian L1A2 bayonet steel

Greetings:

Would anyone know what type of carbon steel, and at what RC hardness, an L1A2 (long point) bayonet blade is? I've read that bayo steel is typically not suitable for a useable knife edge as is it too soft. Any experience or knowledge of the L1A2 blades?

Thanks!

Default Re: Australian L1A2 bayonet steel

Hi mate,
    Pulled this from another site,

"Since steel hardness varies inversely with toughness in the C scale range, bayonets are softer than ideal for cutting knives.
    I'd also expect the steel to be alloyed with Nickel and Molybdenum (if available) for toughness.
    Bayonets are intended for very rough usage and misusage so toughness rather than sharpness is the prime prerequisite."
    I've always had the understanding that a modern bayo is more of a all round tool than a cutting edge.
    Cheers
    Dave

Default Re: Australian L1A2 bayonet steel

Hi
    As Dave says the modern Bayonets are more of an all round tool as to the L1A2, they were simply designed for stabbing, I never knew anybody in the army who sharpend the bayo,s.
    Dave.