Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet ID help needed

Article about: Need some help to identify the following bayonet, it looks like a British 1856 sword bayonet but quillion is wrong, all help gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance for all input.

?

Default Bayonet ID help needed

Need some help to identify the following bayonet, it looks like a British 1856 sword bayonet but quillion is wrong, all help gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance for all input.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet ID help needed   Bayonet ID help needed  

?

For some reason text above photos not showing, should read as follows.

Need some help to identify the following bayonet, it looks like a British 1856 sword bayonet but quillion is wrong, all help gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance for all input

Looks similar to the Swiss M1867 'Sharpshooters' pattern bayo but not identical-has the backswept cross guard though.

PS Also resembles the Norwegian M1855 but again some differences.

Its an 1856/58 bayonet, a variation of the 1856 bayonet. Differences are the leaf spring being secured by a screw not a rivet. After 1873 many were converted for use on the Martini Henry. Information from "Bayonets" by Martin Brayley.

Yes, but my 1856/58 pattern bayonet is secured by a screw not a rivet, and it dosnt have the bent back quillon (indeed Brayley shows one of these in the book). Brayley also shows a near matching bayonet to the one in this thread, with a bent back quillon but with a brass pommel, which he describes as an 1856/58 volunteer bayonet.

Edit; no thats wrong, the caption is contradictory. It says the top bayonet is a standard 1856/58 bayonet (which it isnt) and that the middle one has a brass pommel (which it dosnt), so we have to guess what Brayley means. However, I think he almost certainly means what I said first, and therefore this could be a volunteer variation.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Its an 1856/58 bayonet, a variation of the 1856 bayonet. Differences are the leaf spring being secured by a screw not a rivet. After 1873 many were converted for use on the Martini Henry. Information from "Bayonets" by Martin Brayley.

?

Seems like its a scarce bayonet then. Maybe volunteer bayonet of some form similar to 1856 any value?

Are there any markings?

?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Are there any markings?
    Not that am aware, I am looking to buy it, seller would have mentioned am sure.

?

Maybe it is Spanish I have seen similar grips on Spanish blades