Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British 1888 bayo

Article about: Hi guys. Very quick question for you. Does anyone know if the 1888 was used in the great war, or had it been completely replaced already by the 1907 pattern? Thanks a lot. Steve

Default British 1888 bayo

Hi guys. Very quick question for you. Does anyone know if the 1888 was used in the great war, or had it been completely replaced already by the 1907 pattern? Thanks a lot.
    Steve

Default Re: British 1888 bayo

The P88 fits on the long Metford/ Lee Enfield rifles that were still used in WW1-the SMLE started out with the P03 which was either a P88 blade rehandled for the SMLE bayo fittings or a new blade that was shorter than the later P07, adopted because the army thought the P03 types too short when used on the SMLE. There were also limited numbers of the Enfield Martini conversions made to mount the P88 bayo instead of the more usual P95 socket triangular blade bayos. Older rifles were again used in WW2 (mostly for Home Guard type use) with the P88. SMLE rifles as stated either the P03 or P07 bayos.

Great info. Thanks mate.

The Pattern 1888s were also made during the Second World War in South Africa by the Railways. These were issued to the Defence rifle Associations. Finish rather rough.

British 1888 bayoBritish 1888 bayo

Hi guys i have seen one of these bayos in local shop. It has two brass rivets no markings visible on blade that i could see apart from "31" and this number appears on brown leather scabbard to. Any ideas what type of 1888 this might be. Its priced at £60. Cheers Tim.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Hi guys i have seen one of these bayos in local shop. It has two brass rivets no markings visible on blade that i could see apart from "31" and this number appears on brown leather scabbard to. Any ideas what type of 1888 this might be. Its priced at £60. Cheers Tim.
    I'm sorry, I can't help you on the markings. Are there any unit markings on the butt or anything? If it is in good condition and all original, then I would have thought that £60 is a good price for one of these. I am also pretty sure that 1888s were used in WW1 by the Royal Marines, not on the front line of course Hope this helps.

Forgot to ask as im not up much in bayonet info. Are all the 1888 variations scarce? It seems most cold steel collectors love them. The one ive seen in local junk shop appears in good nick but no blade stamps unless they have worn badly over the years. Either way £60 sounds pretty good price for one.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I'm sorry, I can't help you on the markings. Are there any unit markings on the butt or anything? If it is in good condition and all original, then I would have thought that £60 is a good price for one of these. I am also pretty sure that 1888s were used in WW1 by the Royal Marines, not on the front line of course Hope this helps.
    I will have to go back and after thinking about it will buy it. As soon as i have it here i will post some pics. I didnt recall seeing any other numbers other than "31" on bayo and also impressed into leather of scabbard.

Yeah, I would probably buy it May I ask, is the shop in Evesham with all the german helmets and bayos and stuff still going? My parents used to work around there and I went in a couple of times. Got one of my first bayos from there actually, but i can't remember the shop's name.

Like many things these days that are worth money, copies have appeared of the P88-a lack of markings is not a good sign as these were well marked with makers, proofs and regt marks-it may also have been polished to get rid of rust and other surface damage that may have removed these. This is what one would normally look like.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1888 bayo   British 1888 bayo  

British 1888 bayo  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast