Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Army Jack Knives 1880-1979

Article about: I cannot put an exact date on it, other than post war, maybe 1950's or 60's? But I am starting to guess now, which is not good. Cheers, Ade

Default Re: British Army Jack Knives 1880-1979

Hello Dutchy,

That canoe shaped one looks a bit like the ones Ibberson produced in the early war years before the idea was abandoned and they went onto the bexoid type grips like everyone else.
    The all metal knives re-emerged with the 'Burma' knife in 1944 which was produced alongside the usual type.

Hello Dutchy, My British canoe shaped knife has on the can opener blade the legend "the arrow stamp, below this the violin trade mark and below again the name Ibberson,Sheffield. stamped on one side is Staybright and the shackle is copper. You will be aware of the Australiad company of Wittingslowe and their own patented type of can opener, but in Flooks book on page 179 he mentions a canoe shaped knife made by Wittingslowe with the British style can opener. This knife appears to have a copper shackle. Your knife has a steel shackle and no makers mark and that in its self is very unusual and I cannot shed any light on its maker appart from surmising that it is possibly Australian made. Sorry not to have been much help, yours, John.

Dutchy357
    ?

Exclamation Re: British Army Jack Knives 1880-1979

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    You will be aware of the Australian company of Whittingslowe and their own patented type of can opener, but in Flooks book on page 179 he mentions a canoe shaped knife made by Wittingslowe with the British style can opener.
    Thanks John

Yes I am familiar with both patterns of clasp knife that Whittingslowe produced and have multiple examples of each. I also have both patterns of the Carr Fast clasp Knife and the second pattern Sterling. All are clearly marked by the maker.

This unmarked knife has only an arrowhead and an R on the Marlin Spike (this can be seen in the pic).

I was hoping your knife and your knowledge might have thrown some light on mine. But alas!. The joys of collecting and research!!

All I can be sure of is that I have a knife from an unknown maker. Is he Brit or was he Aus?

Thankyou for your help.

Dutchy AKA
    John Kroezen

Dutchy357
    ?

Quote by Blackpowder44 View Post
    Canadian army jack knives,
    No.1 1914
    No2. 1916
    Date unknown
    No.4 !948-1949.

No.5 Indian army 1942

No 5,6.Australian WWII
    S.O.E. Tyre slashing knife WWII
    Hi John

Another Q on your knife pic's.

The WE knife, your No: 6. Does it have any Military marks? I have one in my collection (not as good as yours) and it has no Mil markings on it.

Regards Dutchy

Quote by Dutchy357 View Post
    Hi John

Another Q on your knife pic's.

The WE knife, your No: 6. Does it have any Military marks? I have one in my collection (not as good as yours) and it has no Mil markings on it.

Regards Dutchy
    My knife has no D arrowD marks to signify military issue. The only info on it is Wittingslowe over No.47 over RD 21402, over PRODUCT.I am not being much help to you am I, Regards, John.

Adrian01
    ?

I have a jack knife with splicing spike, a 2.3/4" blade and a screwdriver blade inside the COPPER lanyard loop. It looks like a British army jack knife of the 1st or 2nd World War type, except for the fact that the normal crosshatched black plastic grip is made from aluminium on my knife. Also, the lanyard fitting is made from copper, not from steel and this has some decorative markings around the steel rivet (or pivot). The blade looks identical to that on a standard wartime British army jack knife. I have attempted to attatch two photographs to this message.

Please would another forum member tell me anything about this jack knife. Is it a genuine British army jack knife? Was it issued to a specific regiment? Is it a civilian version of an army knife? Is it (perhaps) a scout knife? Your help would be appreciated. Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum!

Not Army, but Royal Navy issue. Without any marking to the blade it is hard to date exactly, as these were issued from 1940 onwards to 1986.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian01
    ?

Default Royal Navy jack knife 1940 to 1986.

Dear Adrian,
    Thanks for such a prompt and concise response. I omitted to mention that the blade is marked with the maker's details: "Harrison Brothers & Howson, Sheffield". Thanks again. Adrian.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum!

Not Army, but Royal Navy issue. Without any marking to the blade it is hard to date exactly, as these were issued from 1940 onwards to 1986.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Adrian, thanks for the extra info.

Early knives tend to have makers details plus the date of manufacture. Later production examples carry either the makers name only or the makers name and a stores code number.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian01
    ?

Default Royal Navy jack knife 1940 to 1986.

Dear Adrian, Thanks again. I will assume that my jack knife dates between 1960 and 1986, as it only bears the maker's name and "Sheffield". Regards, Adrian.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Adrian, thanks for the extra info.

Early knives tend to have makers details plus the date of manufacture. Later production examples carry either the makers name only or the makers name and a stores code number.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast