Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Army (WW2?) Machete

Article about: Hi everyone. I have recently found a machete and scabbard with the broad arrow on both. The scabbard has the date 1942 on it whilst the blade has 1945. Although scabbard was in terrible cond

?

Default British Army (WW2?) Machete

Hi everyone. I have recently found a machete and scabbard with the broad arrow on both. The scabbard has the date 1942 on it whilst the blade has 1945. Although scabbard was in terrible conditions to begin with, we are in the process of treating the leather and stitching. I would like to know what these machetes were used for. If the blade was made in 45 would it have seen action in the Second World War or is it more likely Korean War used? Also, where were these used and why?
    I have attached some images for you all.
    Oh and what does the large 103 stamp mean?
    Thanks everyone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army (WW2?) Machete   British Army (WW2?) Machete  

British Army (WW2?) Machete   British Army (WW2?) Machete  

British Army (WW2?) Machete   British Army (WW2?) Machete  

Hello, it’s a standard issue British machete that was used in all theatres of war. They were used for the same reason that machetes are used for now, clearing vegetation. It is quite common for the scabbards to perish. It is not inconceivable that it was used in WW2, however, a lot of ‘45 dated items were used post war and did not see service wartime.

?

Brilliant, cheers grimebox

Hello,

The '103' number on the sheath is an inspectors code from the Ministry Of Supply. I have seen this same number stamped on other machete sheaths of the WWII era.

?

Wow that’s brilliant! Cheers Chris