Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British aux unit knife

Article about: Hi folks i have been offered this, seller tells me it dates ww2 and he thinks it is a british auxiliary knife, it measures 9" although there is a part missing from the top part of the h

Default British aux unit knife

Hi folks i have been offered this, seller tells me it dates ww2 and he thinks it is a british auxiliary knife, it measures 9" although there is a part missing from the top part of the handle the blade is 4.5" and has the maker A PAULSON (sheffield) its condition isnt great however if it is as he says i will take it. Thank you in advance of any information.
    British aux unit knife
    British aux unit knife
    British aux unit knife

I do not think there was such a thing as an Auxiliary knife. According to my sources, they were issued with the FS knife. To me this looks like a commercial knife that could have been purchased by anyone, so unless the seller comes up with documentation that this was actually issued to an Auxiliary or purchased privately by them during the war, I would pass.

Not a military issue knife.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks guys.

Having said that, I am seeing similar knives that apparently are related to the Aux units. Take a look at this discussion:

Coleshill House Auxiliary Unit Forum

I still maintain that unless it has provenance it could just be a commercial knife used by anyone.

Cheers.

That would be my take on it too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks, i have contacted him to see what he has to say, he did say it is quite rare, i also did a search of the maker to see of any other examples nothing came up.

Dunno why but it gives me that feeling that it's maybe a home made knife, made using an original blade? The crossguard just doesn't look like something that came from a proper Sheffield manufacturer? I could be way off course mind but it's just a feeling I have?

Edit :-

Just read the link above re the Aux unit knives and it seems like maybe the crossguard isn't a home made job then?

Thanks, i am still awaiting his response, it does not look right however if he can provide some history/proof then i simply will not bother,
    A Paulson of Sheffield was i believe manufacturing around 1920, and mainly his trade was tableware.

They were all commercial they were never a military contract that would have defeated the point
    Read rons new book
    If it had been full length it would have sold for £200.
    mmm, who is Ron and full length???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast