Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British bayonet, I think?

Article about: It's 1860's-1870's era. ( The woman who said 'WWII or Korea' doesn't know much - if anything - about militaria ! ) I believe there's a clamp missing from the muzzle ring.........

Default Re: British bayonet, I think?

P53 Enfield bayonet?

Scabbards

Luke

British bayonet, I think?

?

Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets is a good reference...I wonder if the AP is a colonial mark? It does not show up ion the list.

Thank you for you reply Luke. You picture does look a lot like the hallmark on my bayonet. I still don't know about the letters above the circle though. I am wondering if (hoping not) is there anyway the bayonet is ether a reproduction or some of the markings are fake or added to look better? Just wondering since we can't find some of the markings.

From Alex

kgrunt, thank you for you reply. I have been to that website, but have not seen the marks of there. It's good to have that website tho. As far as I have checked I can not find the A.P mark.

From Alex

Hello all! I am a bit of new information to add (well kinda ). I had the bayonet and a few other items appraised yesterday at a well known auction house yesterday. The appraiser thought that it weighed to light. She had no idea what the markings were. Nor did she try to look them up . She guested it was WW2 or Korea. As for the price and I quote, "If you took this to another auction that wants to sell it, if you can find one, it would be worth $50-60 USD." So I am going to a militara auction house in San Francisco with in a few weeks to have someone else look at the marking. So hopefully I will get better news soon! Again thank you for your ideas and help!

From Alex

Alex: It's a great idea to get a second opinion.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Luke

Thank you Luke! I am going to buy a at least one more bayonet and a German item then get them all appraised . I'll probably get them appraised in a week or two.

From Alex

Its most certainly not WWII or Korea, its at least late 19th centuary at the earliest and it won't be a fake or copy because they arnt worth enough to make it worthwile copying.

Hi Alex,

not a perfect match but try these useful links:

19th Century British Enfield Socket Bayonet

a British-made 19th Century Enfield socket bayonet and other versions as used in the Civil war with different markings:

USA - 18th and 19th Century Bayonets

Cheers,

Ian.

m3bobby Thank you for responding. Yes I was thinking it was not WW2 or Korea. I am still happy to hear that it might be late 19th century. I did not like any of her appraisals :/

Howdy Ian, Thank you for your post! I have not been to the first site, (I don't think so). Although I have been to the second website. I am hoping to get this bayonet and something else looked at hopefully this weekend. I'll update when I have more information.

From Alex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast