Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Enfield Pattern 1913 bayonet - Remington - History ?

Article about: I hope this finds you all well. I have collected militaria for a long time but only recently taken an interest in edged weapons. I picked this up today and I was just wondering if anyone cou

?

Default British Enfield Pattern 1913 bayonet - Remington - History ?

I hope this finds you all well.

I have collected militaria for a long time but only recently taken an interest in edged weapons. I picked this up today and I was just wondering if anyone could add anything more to what I 'think I know' about the history of this item.

British Enfield Pattern 1913 bayonet - Remington - History ? British Enfield Pattern 1913 bayonet - Remington - History ? British Enfield Pattern 1913 bayonet - Remington - History ?

So I think I am correct in saying that the majority of these ended up in Home Guard units? I also read that America took back a number of these too and re-marked them?

I was slightly worried that there was no 'x' for a bend test as I have seen on the majority of 1907 patterns.

British Enfield Pattern 1913 bayonet - Remington - History ? British Enfield Pattern 1913 bayonet - Remington - History ?

On the Pommel is the number '420' would that be marked up to a corresponding rifle?

This is my first purchase but I am hoping to collect an example of each bayonet style eventually and hopefully learn a lot along the way! Please forgive my ignorance but I am a quick learner, all help and advice welcome. I must say I have enjoyed looking through the posts in the forum, there are some truly fantastic examples here.

Thank you for your time and help, I hope you have a great weekend.

Adski

?

Adski

It’s a Remington made for British service pattern 1913. Manufactured in May 1916. Your scabbard is a WW2 British manufactured replacement. When the Americans entered WW1 they took owner ship of the 1913 bayonets that had not yet left for Britain and overstamped the British markings. Eventually the newly made bayonets were stamped with American markings and designated the model 1917 bayonet. The British and American bayonets were used by the home guard during WW2. I know interwar and post WW2 some p1914 rifles and these bayonets were sold off to foreign governments but I don’t know about them going back to the US. My P1913 bayonet has an X bend mark under the top inspectors mark. Yours looks like it was maybe lightly stamped them cleaned away.

?

Thanks for the quick reply Alex, what do you think to the condition? I am also trying to get a feel for the price of bayonets / quality, is there any reference material I should be looking at? I am mindful that the reference books I have looked at buying are very expensive. I paid £80 for this one, I am not too fussed if I have gone over as it is my first bayonet (apart from a Polish Radom that we picked up years ago).

Again thanks for your time,
    I hope you have a great weekend.

?

It’s hard to recommend you buy any specific books as they usually only focus on one country’s bayonets. I started off with “bayonets an illustrated history” by Martin Brayley which is a really broad overview but most of the info can be found online these days. “British & commonwealth bayonets” by Ian Skennerton is a very good guide if that’s what you want to get into. Price is variable depending on where you live and how much you want the bayonet. Your bayonet has been heavily cleaned (the pommel and cross guard have been stripped of their blueing) and it doesn’t have its original scabbard. Both would affect value to collectors. I don’t think it’s a bad bayonet to start with.

My go to reference is Bayonets from Janzen's Notebook. Not a pricing guide in anyway but the gold standard in reference to makes and models. I do not think the price was bad including shipping. Good starting bayonet as previously stated. I think mine was a 1917 bayonet to start which is the same but not shipped to Britain.
    John

?

Nice looking Remington!!
    Now not getting into specific countries I have Found the "BAYONETS FROM JANZEN's NOTEBOOK" to be an excellent reference. It covers A-Y in countries and then a Unidentifed section. The images are very detailed drawings. also covering the markings. It gives a breif explanation into each bayonets and also some of the variants. Its a big book and has 244 pages .It is 11"x 81/2" and 1 1/2"thick. So not something you can carrt around the gunshows with you. But a great book that I refer to here when bayo's are posted that I do not already have in my collection..

Happy Hunting

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Looks like John is a faster typer than me, But there you have 2 recommendations for the book I mentioned
    Last edited by AZPhil; 10-05-2019 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Added comment

?

Ive got a Remington and it doesn't have the bend test X on it either.
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1344457

Attachment 1344458

I was going to recommend my go to guide on bayos "COLLECTING BAYONETS By J. A. Maddox" but crap the price of it has astounded me!!!

?

Rick,

I think the one diagonal mark under the A on yours is the X mark just lightly stamped.

?

Thanks Alex,
    I though it was just a imperfection , doesn't look like any X mark to me.
    Cheers Rick
    Last edited by Rick W; 10-05-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast