Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

British Machete

Article about: Hello I picked up this British Machete and Sheath last year. The Machete is dated 1952 and made by Kitchin Ltd. The Sheath is 1944 vintage. Mark

Default British Machete

Hello
    I picked up this British Machete and Sheath last year.
    The Machete is dated 1952 and made by Kitchin Ltd. The Sheath is 1944 vintage.
    Mark

Default Re: British Machete

Nice. I have one of these although not in as nice condition. I believe they first started making these for the First World War. At first I was a little put off by the 1950s date on mine but then I thought about all the counter-insurgencies that it could have been used in such as Malaya and Kenya, so they do have history. Anyway, good piece of steel you have there

?

Nice piece of kit.
    My brother still has one that he was issued in the early 1980's when he was "jungle bashing" in Belize with the British army.
    I believe his is also early 1950's dated.

My own is the later "Gollock" version and is dated sometime in the 1970's, (it's currently packed away in the loft, so not sure of the exact date.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I also have a 1945 dated machete that I think came out with the Pattern-1944 Kit?
    Mark

?

Quote by TomcatPC View Post
    I also have a 1945 dated machete that I think came out with the Pattern-1944 Kit?
    Mark
    Mark:

If the scabbard is green webbing with a metal throat plate, belt loop and wire hanger hook, (similar to the US army system), then, certainly that is 44ptn, chances are the machette is also 44ptn.

I will dig mine out at some point over the next week and get some pics posted on here later, but it won't be until mid week as I am going away in the morning.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

My uncle had the one he was issued whilst out in Burma , I remember him using it in his garden on numerous occassions , when he passed away it was never seen again , dammit

Here is the Pattern-1944 Machete and Sheath I had mentioned earlier. Both the Machete and Sheath are 1945 dated.
    Mark