Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help Please

Article about: I picked this up over the weekend. The scabbard does not have any markings that I can find. The two came together but do not know if originated together. I was assuming WWII production as th

Default British No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help Please

I picked this up over the weekend. The scabbard does not have any markings that I can find. The two came together but do not know if originated together. I was assuming WWII production as the plastic scabbard was not made very long from what I understand. Are they making repro plastic scabbards also? All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
    John

British No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help PleaseBritish No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help PleaseBritish No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help PleaseBritish No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help PleaseBritish No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help PleaseBritish No.4 Plastic Scabbard Help Please

Hi John, looks fine to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you Adrian. I was a bit surprised to not find any markings on it. The following info was taken from 'World of Bayonets' Maker mark N30 was made by
    Howard & Bullough Co. of Accrington, Lancashire, was one of the smaller makers of the No. 4 Mk. II*, with approximately 161,026 reported produced, during 1942–1943.

John

?

Hi John,

After looking through Skennerton's British & Commonwealth Bayonets, not an a lot is known about these plastic scabbards. Many collectors refer to them as Mk III however they do not match the designated pattern Mk III in the List of Changes para B8930. They were designated in Armourers' Instructions and part lists as Scabbard, Bayonet, No. 4, Plastic, Mk II Type / (Plastic) or Mk 3 (Plastic Body). They have a Mazak alloy mouthpiece and are not maker marked. They are believed to be WW2, North American produced, probably in USA with over 100,000 made.

Both bayonet and scabbard look good to me.

Alex

Thank you Alex! Much appreciated and educational. Thanks again..
    John

...so, just to check...the body of the thing is black plastic...and the ONLY metal in it is the rim piece at the top?

?

Composite,

You are right, the only metal is the mouth piece and screws holding in that piece.