Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Can anyone help me identify these sword/klewang?

Article about: [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] anyone have information about this sword? i want sell this sword but i dont know how much pric

Default Re: Can anyone help me identify these sword/klewang?

I have seen this type of cutlass produced by both the Dutch and the Americans; I recently saw a picture of a WW2 U.S. soldier in the Pacific carrying a modified cutlass like the one you possess.I have been told that these were carried by the Allies in the Pacific and even some Japanese soldiers who had an abundance of Dutch weapons( which they freely modified for their own use),after the over-ran these areas that were controlled by the Netherlands.
    Regards,

On a further note, I have several of these type of cutlass, both American made and the Dutch made varity.The Dutch made one is very high quality and it appears to be made by "UNDETEVES," and with what appears to be an Ox or Bull logo above.
    Regards,

Great Thread here, I have one but the grip is not the same as those shown may I have some thoughts on this?
    http://www.lakesidetrader.com/pics/SW-14789d.jpg

I have a copy of this book

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/klewang/1001004001536157/

There are certainly models with the type of grip shown in your photos.

I will need some more time to go through the book properly but it could be a Nederlandse Marechausseesabel M1905. [ ie Gendarmerie]

Richie B is right. It is a Dutch Model of 1905 "Marechaussée sabel". Also known as the klewang. It was manufactured by the Dutch State arsenal: HEMBRUG. The scabbard is a later (forties) MILSCO (Milwaukee Saddlery Company, USA) replacement.

The Marechaussée in the Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia), was a unit that was founded as a Special Forces unit at the end of the Nineteenth century. They were mainly deployed in Atjeh (now Acheh on the island of Sumatra). This units went on patrol for a lengthy time armed with a 6.5mm Mannlicher (HEMBRUG) carbine and a klewang. The men were mostly Amboinese, Menadonese and Javanese. The officers were usually European. A tough bunch that preferred the use of a klewang in ambushes.

They were succesfull in the end (more than 30 years of war), but Atjeh was never fully pacified.

Cheers,
    Emile

BTW: The Marechaussée in the Netherlands East Indies was an army Special Forces unit and not Gendarmerie. The Marechaussée in The Netherlands proper, was indeed equal to Gendarmerie.

Many thanks guys for sharing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3