Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Can anyone help me identify these sword/klewang?

Article about: [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] anyone have information about this sword? i want sell this sword but i dont know how much pric

Default Re: Can anyone help me identify these sword/klewang?

Before 1942 they where made by a Dutch compagny called HEMBRUG.
    They are marked on the same place.
    And marked on the leather CW (Centrale Werkplaats).
    @ Grant ; if you go back to Indonesia try to look out for the Dutch militaria, you must be able to find some there!!

I saw a sword like this in the home of a man who had a relative in the China Burma theatre of operations so getting one from a cave in indonesia is not out of the question. A quick tip be careful to keep it clean those old leather scappards hold moisture and can really rust a blade.

Stuka f - what do you use to keep your swords and knives from rusting?

Quote by soalebm View Post
    I saw a sword like this in the home of a man who had a relative in the China Burma theatre of operations so getting one from a cave in indonesia is not out of the question. A quick tip be careful to keep it clean those old leather scappards hold moisture and can really rust a blade.
    ...and try not to bend that scappard to often, it may snap at one time.
    Stuka f - what do you use to keep your swords and knives from rusting?
    To tell you the truth...nothing, I just take care not handle them to much without gloves, and just clean them from time to time with a kind of zilver polish (that comes in like a moisted soft cloth in a tin can , dont remember the name).

pwpv
    ?

This 'sword' of yours is a modified Milsco Klewang/Cutlass. A little history lesson:

These Milsco Klewangs where produced bij the Milwaukee Saddlery Company, Wisconsin USA for the Dutch colonial army in the early 1940's. Based on the orginal Dutch Design.

The klewang was designed to give the Dutch soldier a good weapon against the edged weapons used by the resistant in the Dutch colonies.

After the Dutch got overrun by the German army in may 1940, the exisiting order placed at the in the Netherlands located Hembrug factory could not be delivered. So the Dutch Colonial army had to find an alternative, wich they found in the USA.

Unfortunately the war also reached the Dutch Indies about a year later, at that time only a small amount of Milsco produced "Klewangs" where issued to the troops.

A small part of the remaining stock was issued (not officialy) to the US Navy. After the war the Dutch War Departmant bought the remaining stock and issued them to his colonial troops and navy. The klewang was used in Dutch service till 1949.

After the Japanese victory the re-issued the captured klewangs to their own troops after some modifications. This so called "Heiho" klewangs had their handguard and blade altered. Exactly as your piece.

Quote by pwpv View Post
    After the Dutch got overrun by the German army in may 1940, the exisiting order placed at the in the Netherlands located Hembrug factory could not be delivered.
    Here is one of those, maybe taken as a private souvenir?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help me identify these sword/klewang?   Can anyone help me identify these sword/klewang?  

Can anyone help me identify these sword/klewang?  

PWPV is correct about the Klewang and the HEIHO modification. These klewangs were made by HEMBRUG in the Netherlands, MILSCO and VINCE in the USA and some were made before the war by well known German manufacturers from Solingen.

The USN Model of 1917 is a derivative of this Dutch Klewang but has a full basket and is marked USN on the ricasso. In the US Navy this klewang is known as a cutlass.

For ceremonial purposes the klewang is still in use in the Netherlands by Military Police (Marechaussee), Navy and the colour guard of the regiment "Van Heutz" which carries on the tradition of the former Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL).

The klewang shown by Auseklis is a European issued one. The Dutch army and navy used these klewangs on a large scale as well. Even civilian police units were issued with these handy weapons, although with blackenend scabbards. The colonial scabbards had a large brass chape at the tip of the brown leather scabbard. The US made scabbards were stitched at the top edge. Dutch ones were stiched at rear.

Nice weapons.

Thanks for posting.
    Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by stuka f View Post
    No; in fact Milsco is the Milwaukee Saddle Compagny!
    I do not know the exact history about the "Milsco knil " produced in Australia.
    o<

Quote by stuka f View Post
    No; in fact Milsco is the Milwaukee Saddle Compagny!
    I do not know the exact history about the "Milsco knil " produced in Australia.
    Hello I agree with stuka, Milsco is an acronym for the Milwaukee Saddle company. The klewangs created for the Dutch bij Milsco were all made in 1946 and 1947 and delivered to the Dutch east Indies. It is designated M1941 though as it is made exactly like the original M1941 made by VINCE. Also an US company as the German occupied Netherlands were no longer able to supply the requested klewangs in the Dutch east indies (Who capitulated to the Japanese in 1942). After the war Vince was no longer interested or able to deliver the klewangs and MILSCO took over the order (they were already involved in making the scabbards). From 1945 till 1949 the indonesion people fought for their indepence and a lot of klewangs were captured and used by them. They made their own version and repaired and rebuilt any klewang they could get their hands on or altered them as they think was needed. The picture you show is of an original milsco (based on the mark and the color of the blade which is obviously been "phosphatised" like a) The one you have has had most of his hilt basked removed which places it in the hands of the TNI, the indonesion army in the 1945-1949 period. Value is hard to say, there are many MILSCO's in mint condition (the surplus were sold on the private market in the US) A Milsco in mint condition goes here (in the Netherlands) for something like 150-200 dollar. This one I expect to be no more than 75-125 dollar.
    Mind you that are a lot of tourist klewangs made and sold in lndonesia nowadays but those are easy to spot by their poor quality.

Ron

sorry, my reply was posted in the wrong thread

The Japanese aquired some of these and cut them down to be used as artillery swords. If found in a cave in Indonesia, it was probably a cave with Japanese soldiers holding out. As for US made, no, we bought very few klewangs. The ones bought by the US were not cut down or changed. They were marked with USN only. I have one of these. However, the US did make a klewang style naval sword but its hand guard was quite different. Its worth what someone is willing to pay. I would guess at $200 to $300 US dollars.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast