Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you identify this knife?

Article about: Found this knife after my grandfather died. He fought in WWII and Korea. So perhaps it is American, European, or Korean. Can you identify it? Any help is appreciated.

Default Can you identify this knife?

Found this knife after my grandfather died. He fought in WWII and Korea.
    So perhaps it is American, European, or Korean.

Can you identify it?
    Any help is appreciated.

Can you identify this knife?

?

Default Re: Can you identify this knife?

Possibly german origin, these were fighting knives, there may be markings on the blade, closer photos may help , there were various types

?

hi , looks likely to be german fighting/trench knife . as already stated these come in many types. scabbard while it appers to have some age is unusual as most of the german knives have a metal scabbard. pics of any markings on the blade could help determin its origin ...cheers paul

It's a German fighting knife. Used in both WW1 and 2, this type do not usually have any marks on the blade. However they can be found with small inlaid badges on the left hand side of the grip near to the crossguard. Types i've seen include NSDAP long service badges and 1939 EK1 enamelled type. I don't know if they were sold like this but the fitting is pretty good, so maybe.

Originally it would have had a black painted metal scabbard with a leather belt loop like other fighting knives and not entirely dissimilar to that seen on HJ knives.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank all of you for your expertise and input. I looked for markings and didn't find any, but perhaps I don't know what I am looking for.
    I am currently traveling, but I can certainly upload more pictures zoomed on the blade, grip, and crossguard when I return home.

This knife was found near another knife which was taken from german soldier. So I suspected this one is of german origin, but I could not be sure. The other knife actually saved my grandfather from (another) bullet wound when a bullet hit the knife and did not enter his body. You can see the bullet hole/damage to the knife which saved him.

Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?
    As Ned said, German WWI

It´s the most common Imperial German fighting knife made by several makers during this era.

Rgds.,

R.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?
    As Ned said, German WWI

It´s the most common Imperial German fighting knife made by several makers during this era.

Rgds.,

R.
    Reibert, Thank you for the positive ID.
    Any idea on market value?

Quote by Samirsky View Post
    Reibert, Thank you for the positive ID.
    Any idea on market value?
    You mean your knife ?

Hard to say ...

The scabbard is missing, the blade is slurred, ...

Here, in Austria, maybe 20,-- Euro´s ?

Better keep your knife in memory of your Grandpa !

Best,

R.

Note the upper quillion which is to serve as a bottle opener. Important to them even then...

Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?Can you identify this knife?
    Quote by browningautorifle View Post
    Note the upper quillion which is to serve as a bottle opener. Important to them even then...
    Hi !

I do not can confirm, that this "upper quillion" on German trench knive´s of WWI was made to use it as a "bottle opener", and I really don´t think so !

But:
    In an Austrian Army manual rgd. the GLOCK Field knife 78 it´s describend, that this kind of "upper quillion" is referred to as "bottle opener" indeed !
    This "hook" actually was used to fix, (to screw in tight), a "cap" upon the muzzle of the StG58, or, the AUG77, to use training ammo !

Rgds.,

R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast