Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Combat knife in the form of a dagger - blade marked - WW2 maybe ? !

Article about: As I wrote the introduction , a quality knife with a blade in the form of a dagger . On the blade are imprinted numbers and mark that look to me as letter M. Length dagger is approximately 2

Quote by antiques and hobby View Post
    Hello everyone , I can only confirm that it is a masterful work , irrespective of whether the hybrid or not .
    Sry., friend !

You´re living, (You´re coming from), in Croatia and you do not know such, (Yugoslav manufactured !), Zastava made bayonet ? ...

IMO this "dagger" is a piece of homework and was "manufactured" years after the war of independence in Jugoslavia , maybe, as, kinda, "war souvenir" ...

Cheers,
    R.

MAP
    ?

As with anything there are two sides to the coin and it depends on your point of view. As SRB notes, leaving a piece original or the other side -> modifying it. We all gasp at sporterized K98's or biker painted helmets. But Theater made knives are a category of there own. It was quite common for daggers/bayonets to be modified by the vet who picked them up and as such there is a big collectors market for them.

I have one myself (still trying to id the original blade (US manufactured) and I know someone here (I forgot) has a whole thread on these.

US GI Theater Made Knife

So...while you may fall on one side other the other. It is just different viewpoints. And who knows why, maybe this particular blade was already ruined and bound for the trash heap.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    ... And who knows why, maybe this particular blade was already ruined and bound for the trash heap.
    ... as SRB already mentioned, not only the blade was ruined !

Please, compare the condition of the blade, and the, (modified ... ), hilt !

Most bayonets use to be and some still "a dime a dozen". My gut feeling is that this worth double an original '56 Yugo bayo any day of the week, commonly available item on eBay it looks like, $70 shipped from Cyprus.

YUGO M56 BAYONET WITH SCABBARD AND LEATHER FROG

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Sry., friend !

You´re living, (You´re coming from), in Croatia and you do not know such, (Yugoslav manufactured !), Zastava made bayonet ? ...

IMO this "dagger" is a piece of homework and was "manufactured" years after the war of independence in Jugoslavia , maybe, as, kinda, "war souvenir" ...

Cheers,
    R.
    This piece has been made way before war of independence in Jugoslavia ... Believe me , I have it in the hands.
    btw do not judge someone's knowledge on the basis of several photos

MAP
    ?

Quote by Reibert View Post
    ... as SRB already mentioned, not only the blade was ruined !

Please, compare the condition of the blade, and the, (modified ... ), hilt !
    Thanks Reibert. But I think that was the point. Maybe the blade was already ruined or whole knife. Thus someone took and made their own creation (Hilt/handle).

but not arguing as if it is better to leave as original or modify. Just saying there are different views and we will never really know the original condition before it was modified.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Reibert. But I think that was the point. Maybe the blade was already ruined or whole knife. Thus someone took and made their own creation (Hilt/handle).

but not arguing as if it is better to leave as original or modify. Just saying there are different views and we will never really know the original condition before it was modified.

Michael
    excellent summary and conclusion !!!
    Good night everybody

I don't see any reason to apologize for the knife, in my eyes it is tons more desirable than an original '56 Yugo bayonet, which I don't personally know a single collector over the years who's had an interest in one of those unless they have that rifle. I've seen this bayo on a table at shows, I wouldn't personally pay $70 unless really bored and not finding anything else (usually the case at a show), and even then I haven't bought one.

This particular example looks like a USGI made piece (leather washers), made to emulate this knife and sheath (M3 fighting knife pictured below), and there is nothing particularly "amateurish" about this type of sheath, very commonly made and worn by GI's "in country" as well as just being a copy of a bona fide WWII US Army issue [combat knife and] sheath.

This very desirable combat knife can hit a couple thousand dollars (look at the top of the heap of recently sold on eBay, $2000). This one here was an absolute bargain @ nine hundred dollars.

Combat knife in the form of a dagger - blade marked - WW2 maybe ? !

M3 Fighting Trench Knife Boker Dual Tang and M6 Barwood 43 Sheath Excellent | eBay

Quote by Larboard View Post
    This particular example looks like a USGI made piece (leather washers), made to emulate this knife and sheath (M3 fighting knife pictured below), and there is nothing particularly "amateurish" about this type of sheath, very commonly made and worn by GI's "in country" as well as just being a copy of a bona fide WWII US Army issue [combat knife and] sheath.
    Sorry, I have to disagree here.
    The handle of the knife originally posted in no way resembles the M3 as it is too big and bulky as well as s being pommel heavy. The sheath originally posted is also no comparison to the Barwood sheath and is amateurish as it would take about 20 minutes for me to cut these two pieces out and rivet them together.
    Half of the value in the M3 that you posted is in the sheath. There is no protection at the mouth of the sheath and no stitching on this sheath either. There is no method of suspension so the person carrying this would have to carry it in his pocket?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Maybe I went a little too far with my comparison. I was just saying the knife and sheath emulate an M3 to some degree, or was inspired by the M3 design, even if the handle differs at the pommel or the sheath appears to be unfinished. The sheath does need some kind of belt hanger, at this point it looks like it would be a boot knife?

Also interesting is the blade looks slightly "wasp waisted", like an early (Vietnam era) Gerber MkII?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast