Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Cut down Garand or Springfield bayonet?

Article about: I removed A LOT of the bogus paint. I tried to be extra careful... but I'm thinking that this scabbard was painted over in the first place because of the amount of dings, scratches and scrap

Default Re: Cut down Garand or Springfield bayonet?

I removed A LOT of the bogus paint. I tried to be extra careful... but I'm thinking that this scabbard was painted over in the first place because of the amount of dings, scratches and scrapes I'm finding under the paint.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I removed A LOT of the bogus paint. I tried to be extra careful... but I'm thinking that this scabbard was painted over in the first place because of the amount of dings, scratches and scrapes I'm finding under the paint.

.......Which is just what you would expect on a genuine service issued bayonet perhaps?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Gizmo I don't think yours is a cut down if it was the tip of the blade would be into the blood groove. It looks like you just have a longer scabbard.

it's looking a lot better now..........

Sometimes these may get painted an unusual colour for use/wear
    in a theater performance or high school play.

- A Roman guard perhaps...........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Gizmo I don't think yours is a cut down if it was the tip of the blade would be into the blood groove. It looks like you just have a longer scabbard.
    I've looked into this further and your'e practically right. The 1905/42 model was cut down in '42 from 16" to around 10" and the fuller (blood groove) did go to the very tip of the blade, which could be of a drop point sabre type or a bowie type of point, this was called the M 1905E1 (type 1 ). I did not realise there was a M 1905E1 (type2) in which the fuller stopped around 3" from the point. The difference between the 2 types was that the original serial no. was ground off on the type 2 but present on the type 1.

The type2 also had a greater variety of tip points. As you correctly say, the scabbard is wrong, and has been added later, another red herring! Have a looky at the different types here on ebay, and the many differences can be appreciated. Good work RH1941!!

eBay - wwII M1 M1 MI GARAND KNIFE BAYONET 1943 UFH US FIGHTING, Similar items search

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Whatever it is, it looks like too nice of a bayonet for someone to throw out in the trash!

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    it's looking a lot better now..........

Sometimes these may get painted an unusual colour for use/wear
    in a theater performance or high school play.

- A Roman guard perhaps...........?
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Unfortunately, there are parts of the scabbard that were so rough that the paint is really stuck to it. I may have to leave it as is.

So I don't have a cut down Garand or Springfield bayonet? Just a regular short Garand/Springfield bayo?

BTW, thanks for the responses, everyone!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Unfortunately, there are parts of the scabbard that were so rough that the paint is really stuck to it. I may have to leave it as is.
    I take this back... I was able to remove this tough paint and it turns out that the copper colored paint was applied directly to the fiberglass... that's why the paint was so damn hard to get off on two large spots on either side of the scabbard. I'm beginning to think that the person who painted this scabbard sanded it down first before painting.

I'm hoping I didn't ruin this... but I guess it kind of already was ruined to begin with.

The undated blade to me looks like it might actually be an M-1. Which had either the M-7 (or factory shortened M-3) scabbard. With the uncut M-3 scabbard usually being more valuable than either the M-7 (or cut down version). Also, the M-8 scabbards were a white cotton canvas, that was impregnated with an acetate (?) thermosetting plastic that was painted an olive drab/green color which can vary a little. FP

Hi,
    Nice bayonet you have i have a 16" version of the same type and wondered what the value would be for it, this is one i picked up some months back, It is made by PAL has the U.S, each side of the flaming bomb and datet 1942.
    I have no scabbard for it but still think it,s a good bayo, if anyone knows the value i would be obliged as a guy want to do a deal on some piece he has.
    dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3