Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dazed and Confused

Article about: Gents, Seller says he thinks this is Nathan Starr, to me it looks more British. There is no Starr markings on the blade. It does state "Warrented" on the scrollwork. However, the p

Default Dazed and Confused

Gents, Seller says he thinks this is Nathan Starr, to me it looks more British. There is no Starr markings on the blade. It does state "Warrented" on the scrollwork.

However, the presentation work has the American eagle and E. Pluris unum.

I'd like to buy it if it is American, but not sure about it. What do you think?

Best regards,

Bob

I wish I could be of help Bob. This is wayy out of my element here. It is however a lovely sword, and with the inscription you describe I m sure you feel the same as myself that it was as an American sword or one brought in by import.. I ve found similar outfits but I'm sure in this era, swords more or less conform to a rather standard more simplistic variety. Here's one I found I assume British but with alot similarities at least at a glance. Forgive my ignorance but Nathan Starr was an American Smith? Would his work not of been well hallmarked if that were the case and rather easily identifiable? Just curious. Anyhow aside from the thicker handguard this sword is similar imo but I doubt it helps you at all. In any event best of luck and best regards.

Brian

https://www.michaeldlong.com/Catalog...d-by-Gill.aspx

It's a British pattern 1796 Light Cavalry sword, of Waterloo fame and made by both Britain and German makers. Both countries could have exported such a sword to America, and I understand some were used in the Civil war. British imports from that era may not have maker marks on them. I suspect the etching was done in the US but the sword could be of British or German manufacture. Might be the photo I think the tip may be reworked.

Thanks Fellas, I will buy it. It is not close to free but I doubt I will have something this nice come by again.

A good choice, one of my personal favorites. The 1796 sabre was a wickedly devastating sword, so much so the French at Waterloo wanted it banned, as it was chopping parts off their cavalrymen and foot soldiers. One particularly graphic account of the sword in combat comes from a French eye witness at Waterloo who saw a French cavalryman take a powerful downward blow to the head, it cut clean through his bronze helmet and sliced his head into two equal halves killing the man instantly.