Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ever seen anything like this before?

Article about: Guys Just picked this up, and it was "sold" to me on the basis that it was a "trench knife" I have my doubts, but it does have some interesting points. Firstly it is all

Default Ever seen anything like this before?

Guys
    Just picked this up, and it was "sold" to me on the basis that it was a "trench knife" I have my doubts, but it does have some interesting points. Firstly it is all metal and is "blued" well. It has an air channel running up the point. It has a broad arrow on the blade, and one at the top On the top guard there is also WD (War Department) and a number 4........ The spike is NOT a number 4 bayonet spike. The scabbard looks to be home made, all steel. Anyone ever seen one like this? SOE perhaps? I'm just guessing here

Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ever seen anything like this before?   Ever seen anything like this before?  

Ever seen anything like this before?   Ever seen anything like this before?  

Ever seen anything like this before?  

WWII Knives WWII Knives at FightingKnives
    One very similar on here thought to be made for the French Resistance!....

mpw
    ?

I would have thought the broad arrow mark points towards Royal Navy use. Such as a marlinspike for rope work? Interesting item.

Mark.

I have seen similar "pig stickers" without the knuckle guard being marketed as emergency issue specifically for D- Day, but I suspect this was just for marketing purposes.

It's an interesting one for sure. IT came from France f funny enough. A friend of mine had the fighting knife book.he's trying to look out up. The blood or air channel (which ever you want to believe) makes me think it is a personal weapon rather than a tool, I'm going to the. Birmingham show on Sunday........maybe someone will know there. Thanks for the reply s so far 😍

I've no idea on its authenticity or not but just a couple of observations to throw into the mix and all that.

The WD markings on virtually every other item I've seen usually have the arrow between the W and the D ie W^D. So in this case does the WD mean War Dept or is it a makers mark of WD, or even someone wanting to make it appear to be a War Dept mark?

In most cases the W^D marking seems to of fallen out of use as an actual stamping on equipment by WW2, not totally but it's not seen very often, especially on knives (think I might have one early Jack Knife from 1939/40 with it on but that's it). So, if it is really a War Dept mark then maybe it dates from earlier on, WW1 maybe?

If it was an SOE item then being a clandestine organization I don't imagine that the knife would of carried any issue markings at all, would be a sterile item??

Curiosity got the better of me and I've been and dragged my copy of British and Commonwealth Military Knives by Ron Flook from its home.

No sign of it in the main book covering the 'proper' knives but in the section at the back...'Fakes and Reproductions' there is a line drawing of one which is identical except the blade seems to be a cruciform one, hilt, knuckle guard and pommel are the same. The description says...

All steel knuckle knife, a number of which appeared in the 1970s, and which still occasionally surface. marked W^D and sometimes with the name 'DOWN LONDON'. These knives are a complete fantasy.

Whilst the blade is slightly different, everything else seems to point to it being a variation of one of these maybe?

if anyone else has the book it's on page 235, plate 562.

CBH
    ?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    WWII Knives WWII Knives at FightingKnives
    One very similar on here thought to be made for the French Resistance!....

Thanks for the Link , Gunny
    Cheers

Just to finish off this thread. Yesterday I met with a fantastic gentleman by the name of Fred Stevens.......He who wrote the book on fighting knives. Apparently they most definately are fantasy knives, and were never used by anyone, let alone the french resistance. They started to "flood" the market in the early 70's. He had a good chuckle at it though

The hilt looks like the hilt of the NVA full metal trainings knife ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast