Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Fairbairn Sykes with home made grip?

Article about: What do the Allied edged weapons sages think of this one? I originally didn't think much of this but after having looked into FB knives in more detail recently, I had a second look at it and

Default Fairbairn Sykes with home made grip?

What do the Allied edged weapons sages think of this one? I originally didn't think much of this but after having looked into FB knives in more detail recently, I had a second look at it and wondered if it was a good knife with a replaced grip.

Thanks for any help.

Fairbairn Sykes with home made grip?Fairbairn Sykes with home made grip?Fairbairn Sykes with home made grip?Fairbairn Sykes with home made grip?Fairbairn Sykes with home made grip?

I like that one...Are you sure it's British? I would have guessed a WWI Trench Knife, possibly even German/Austrian...really like the grip as well, must feel very comfortable in hand I imagine...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks Glenn, it may well be German or Austrian. That was my first thought actually but the shape of the blade and crossguard was beginning to make me think of a FS knife. No markings that I can see anywhere sadly.

The grip is quite nice in the hand yes, it feels like it wouldn't slip and you could get some good force behind it.

?

I'm having the impression the tang is too thick, could you measure it please?

Hi Luc,

I put some measurements in the other thread I made on this one. Thanks for looking. They are roughly correct, give or take a mm or two.

277mm total length.
    157mm blade length.
    114mm grip length.
    21mm blade width at base.
    51mm cross guard length.
    3mm cross guard thickness.
    9mm pommel nut diameter.

?

Those are the correct measurements, but without markings it is impossible to id.

Interesting combination of styles of the Fairbairn Sykes blade (but a little on the short side?) with an SA/SS style grip? Looks quite old.