Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Forget about Ka-Bar. Cattaraugus 225 Q all the way.

Article about: Thanks, Steve. Very swift reaction it was too. Appreciate it. In regards to rynegolds post: I found it an interesting read. Not only because there were some interesting info, but also becaus

Quote by relicz View Post
    There was an old knife sharpener that used to have a push cart with a couple of sharpening and polishing wheels that he walked through the neighborhood streets of NYC. He had a long white beard and looked relatively ancient to me as an adolescent in the 1970's. I have never seen anyone, man or machine, that could put a better edge on a bladed weapon of tool. He was absolutely gifted at his craft.
    In the late 60's and early 70's there was a man like this in my
    neighbourhood as well, with a wooden cart painted green,
    ringing a brass bell to call out customers.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Good times long gone.

I lament the fact, that there are a lot of 'disposable' knives our there.

I know some people, who buy very cheap ceramic knives and just throw them away when kitchen duties dull them. The knives cost next to nothing.

Simply anathema to my way of thinking. I far prefer a quality steel knife, that I can sharpen and which gets patina and wear over many years. Cant beat that IMO.

But to each his own and all that.

Hay guys. I too think the 225Q is a largely underrated knife. While I do not have a nice minty one myself, I can show you this "trench art" relic one that you may find interesting. Allegedly found in Normandy, although I suspect the "SS" dagger handle was a later addition by a seller to make a relic knife blade look better as I am fairly sure SS dagger handles were not made of plastic? Any way. Here it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forget about Ka-Bar. Cattaraugus 225 Q all the way.   Forget about Ka-Bar. Cattaraugus 225 Q all the way.  

?

Whoa, that must be a first!
    (hope its the last one with that kind of 'after market' handle as well)
    No doubt made to jack up the price, as you say.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    In the late 60's and early 70's there was a man like this in my
    neighbourhood as well, with a wooden cart painted green,
    ringing a brass bell to call out customers.........
    Sound like the exact same guy, amazing considering the distance between locations, perhaps this is what Santa does for a hobby during the off season.
    Regards,
    John

?

I've been looking at one of these knives for awhile and jut couldn't decide to buy or not buy. well after reading this post I had to buy. its rough and its been there and now its mine. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Forget about Ka-Bar. Cattaraugus 225 Q all the way.   Forget about Ka-Bar. Cattaraugus 225 Q all the way.  

?

Congrats. I like it - nice patina
    Glad that this thread prompted you to get one - you wont regret it (besides it will easily sell at a later point).
    I actually think the condition of your Catt is fine, sure it has picked up some signs of use and age, but more importantly it looks like the edge is straight, the tip intact, in short its not some butchered unevenly over-sharpened-on-a-wheel blade. Leather and pommel looks intact. Some times leather washers break on these. A single washer on my knife has little hole in it, but the rest are intact.
    Some of the 225s for sale are in way worse condition than yours.
    You might clean it up gently.
    I dont like when people polish or buff them - a light cleaning will do it for me, as I like that it shows some age and wear, but that is just me and its your knife.

?

I agree scout I like them with the I've been there done that look .Now I just need a sheath for it. Gary

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4