Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fraternal Knight's Templar sword?

Article about: Hello all, I need some help fellas. A local customer of mine buys at auction and stopped by the house today with this. I believe this is Knight's Templar. Can anyone please take a stab as to

Default Fraternal Knight's Templar sword?

Hello all,

I need some help fellas. A local customer of mine buys at auction and stopped by the house today with this. I believe this is Knight's Templar. Can anyone please take a stab as to when it is from and a rough estimate of value? I believe he said he paid $60 for it.

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fraternal Knight's Templar sword?   Fraternal Knight's Templar sword?  

Fraternal Knight's Templar sword?   Fraternal Knight's Templar sword?  

I'd say it's early 20th century, missing it's knuckle chain and in pretty average condition. $60?? I reckon you could add a '0' to that.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    I'd say it's early 20th century, missing it's knuckle chain and in pretty average condition. $60?? I reckon you could add a '0' to that.

Regards, Ned.
    Ned, well he'll be very pleased to here that. Thanks for help.

William Kramer

Quote by big ned View Post

Regards, Ned.
    I would agree with Ned.
    Not sure if it is worth quite that much, but certainly more than he paid for it. I also believe it is for the Knights of Columbus.
    My example is later with an imitation ivory grip complete with knuckle chain and etched blade. I will post a couple photos later.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The initials on the blade look to be A.O.U.W. which would make it from the Ancient Order of United Workmen. They were one of the many dozens of fraternal organizations that popped up after the Civil War in the US. Fraternal swords and other paraphernalia are common to see and find in the US and, unfortunately, the condition of this sword looks to be extremely low. Quite often I've seen flea markets and antique shows with barrels by the ends of tables with various kinds of these lodge swords in them-usually in the $75-100 price range. On this particular piece, the gilding is almost wholly gone, the chain is missing and the scabbard is heavily rusted. A shame, as, by looking at the blade engraving, it must have been impressive in it's day. Sadly, the purchase price is about all that I would see as reasonable for it in it's present sate. A person, if they wanted to, could put together an almost unlimited number collection of lodge swords. The Knights of Pythias, the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Modern Woodmen of America.....and on it goes...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

William is right with his evaluation of this sword. In "mint" condtion a high end
    price would be around $135. I've picked up a few of them over the years.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.