Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Frog ID help pleae

Article about: I recently bought an M1917 Winchester bayo at auction. Im really happy with the purchase but the frog has presented me with a problem. Rather then the wire "frog" that Ive seen wit

?

Default Frog ID help pleae

I recently bought an M1917 Winchester bayo at auction. Im really happy with the purchase but the frog has presented me with a problem. Rather then the wire "frog" that Ive seen with it, it actually has a leather frog studded to it. Does anyone know about this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Frog ID help pleae   Frog ID help pleae  

Default Re: Frog ID help pleae

British Home Guard issue.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hmm thats crazy. Did the Brits not re-stamp the bayos after getting them from the Americans?

This one has had me beat for a few days now. Thanks for the help!

No, they did not re stamp them.

See here for a bit more info:

Sword Bayonets U

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

NCA
    ?

I have one just the same as yours with the rivetted leather frog only the scabbard on mine still has the us wire belt hanger.The Bayonet itself has a very small british acceptance mark or proof mark..a small 'x' basically.

Quote by NCA View Post
    I have one just the same as yours with the rivetted leather frog only the scabbard on mine still has the us wire belt hanger.The Bayonet itself has a very small british acceptance mark or proof mark..a small 'x' basically.
    The 'X' mark is actually a bending mark. Blades were bent at a certain angle and were required to come back to straight. If they passed this test, the X was applied on the side opposite the bending, (if you see what I mean?).

Rob