Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

Article about: I would like to find out the maker of my Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

?

Default Help with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

I would like to find out the maker of my Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Help with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knifeHelp with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knifeHelp with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knifeHelp with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knifeHelp with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knifeHelp with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knifeHelp with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knifeHelp with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

?

Sorry for the duplicate pictures. The knife does not have any other markings. It also does not have the American customs regulation England stamp on or the scabbard. I suspect that it is a wartime bring back and not a post war import.

It is a wartime specimen, 3rd model. I could be wrong but the I engraved near the acceptance should mean Indian issue, if so probably the Ishapore arsenal was the maker. If this is an I and not a T...

It's a wartime produced Third pattern. The mark does represent "Indian Stores" ownership, but not manufacture. This is likely a Wilkinson made knife, they had a contract to supply 2,500 knifes from October 1943. Many of these were never actually delivered to India. The "3" mark is from one of the four foundry makers, that supplied companies like Wilkinson.

?

Default Not sure about it being Indian contract

Not sure if I can post this from another site? Help with identifying the maker of Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

Rather depends on whether the information in the website you quote is 100% accurate. My understanding the contract specification was the mark should be "broad arrow, I" (side by side) which is exactly what we see on post #1. The commonly seen mark is an "I" above a broad arrow, but early knives in the contract may have been marked as we see in your example. The other possibility is a knife marked at the Indian arsenal, though I don't believe this to be an Indian made one (and there are some).

?

Thank you for your reply and the information you have provided. I am not sure if I can post the name of the website that I read the information or that I took the screen shot of?
    Would a moderator or senior member be able to provide me with the information that would allow me to identify the site here?

Quote by Oldguy View Post
    Thank you for your reply and the information you have provided. I am not sure if I can post the name of the website that I read the information or that I took the screen shot of?
    Would a moderator or senior member be able to provide me with the information that would allow me to identify the site here?
    Yes, you can post links to web sites.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thank you for your reply.
    This is the link I was referring to
    The Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knives - Home Page
    Last edited by Oldguy; 12-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.