Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords

Article about: I am in dire need for someone to give me a crash course on pre-WWII U.S. dress swords. I know ZERO about them and I was offered one for \\$50 with the original scabbard. Here are the basic que

Default HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords

I am in dire need for someone to give me a crash course on pre-WWII U.S. dress swords. I know ZERO about them and I was offered one for $50 with the original scabbard. Here are the basic questions I have:

What variants are there?

What kind of markings do they have? Should they have any?

Are there fakes of these in production?

How can I tell real one from a fake?

What is a ballpark value of one of these swords with its scabbard?

Also, is there anything else important that I should know?

Thanks for all your help guys. I don't know how I ever collected militaria without you all. I will get pictures of the sword as soon as possible.

?

Default Re: HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords

?

Pre-WWII is a bit vague, especially for a NCO sword as this could date back to pre-Civil War.

Also, depending on which branch of the military, maker and of course condition, this could effect value.

As an example, a M1850 NCO sword with scabbard in half decent condtion could fetch $300 - $500.

A M1902 could be a little lower, again depending upon condition.

Any seller should be able to provide photos. With that and a quick search online, you should be able to at least pinpoint which model you have.

At $50, either the person is hard up for cash, doesn't know what they have, or it's a replica. Regardless, this is about the right price for a quality replica regardless of period, so no major loss if it turns out to be.

You should also work out ahead of time an inspection period (typically 3 days) where you can return the item if you are not satisfied.

If you go through with it, Post the pictures up here and someone will confirm for you.

Good luck!

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Pre-WWII is a bit vague, especially for a NCO sword as this could date back to pre-Civil War.

Also, depending on which branch of the military, maker and of course condition, this could effect value.

As an example, a M1850 NCO sword with scabbard in half decent condtion could fetch $300 - $500.

A M1902 could be a little lower, again depending upon condition.

Any seller should be able to provide photos. With that and a quick search online, you should be able to at least pinpoint which model you have.

At $50, either the person is hard up for cash, doesn't know what they have, or it's a replica. Regardless, this is about the right price for a quality replica regardless of period, so no major loss if it turns out to be.

You should also work out ahead of time an inspection period (typically 3 days) where you can return the item if you are not satisfied.

If you go through with it, Post the pictures up here and someone will confirm for you.

Good luck!
    Couldn't have said it better myself ....... !
    Good info and advice, Yuengling !
    Regards,

Steve.

Well, I went over to the guys house and took some pictures. I believe that this first one is an M1902 from what I've learned. He wants $60 for it. Is that a good price?

I will post the 2nd one now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords   HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords  

HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords   HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords  

This sword is the 2nd one he has. I have no idea what it's for. ive taken pictures of all of the details of it. hopefully someone will know what it is. he wants $40 for it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords   HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords  

HELP: Pre-WWII U.S. dress swords  

3mk
    ?

Sorry if Im wrong but, I think the 2nd sword is Spanish judging from the eagle emblem

?

The first is most definitley an M1902. Were there any markings visible on the blade near the guard? if authentic, $60 is a good price.

The second is a spanish sword evident by Spanish Crown on the guard (eagle perched on a crucifx). Not sure of the model, though....

?

On the Spanish sword, there is one on the Bay simlar to the one being offered to you listed as it a buy-it-now for $300. They have it identified as a M1907 Cavalry Sword...

SPANISH MODEL 1907 CAVALRY SWORD & SCABBARD - eBay (item 370387251040 end time Jun-25-10 15:52:25 PDT)

I can't confirm authenticity, though....

well hes taking $90 if I buy both. hes pretty firm on the price.
    i think ill go buy them tomorrow!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast