Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identify this Bayonet + some questions!

Article about: Hello all, I'm new here. After clearing out my deceased mothers garage, I came across this bayonet I remember from my childhood. It always sat inside the house but when she moved, it was sto

Default Identify this Bayonet + some questions!

Hello all, I'm new here.

After clearing out my deceased mothers garage, I came across this bayonet I remember from my childhood. It always sat inside the house but when she moved, it was stored in the garage along with piles of other 'junk'. My earliest memories (20 years ago!) where of it being in relatively good condition however sitting in a cold, damp garage for the past 10 odd years has taken it's toll.

Anyway, after trying to find information on it by reading the marks on the sheath and blade (lots of corrosion so it's difficult) I came across a thread on this forum via google image search: 1907 British Bayonet Markings‏

The one I have is nearly identical however some of the markings are different. There are also additional markings on the scabbard (in the leather and on the metal). I was wondering if any of you kind people could give me some information about it - anything at all would be great.

Lastly, should I attempt to clean/tidy it up? I don't want to touch the thing until I know I'm not at risk of damaging a rare piece or similar. I've attached links to various photos of the bayonet below.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me

Martin

https://plus.google.com/photos/11162...59625501596833

Default Re: Identify this Bayonet + some questions!

Hi Martin

I can give you a run down of the markings.

On the ricasso part of the blade it has:
    Crown/GR over 1907 = King George V, 1907 Pattern Bayonet
    5 '15 = Manufactured in May 1915
    EFD = Manufactured by Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield

On the other side:

British government acceptance stamp (Broad Arrow)
    Enfield inspector's mark (crown over number over E for Enfield)
    X = bending mark; blade has been tested by being bent and returning to straight
    I can't make out the other mark, could be another inspector mark or a re-issue date?

The sheath has some similar markings, including inspectors stamps and a broad arrow. The A.C. is the manufacturer, 'A. Cooper'.

Rob

Martin

British Pattern 1907 bayonet - very common bayonet. Made at Enfield May 1915.

The grooves on the grips are not original.

Try cleaning it with a soft cloth and maybe a little gun oil.

Regards

Richie

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for the information - it's confirmed some of my thoughts/investigations and given me more information to work on. With regards to the AC mark - does this mean the sheath was manufactured by another company separate to the bayonet itself?

I'm wondering if I should do anything to clean/tidy/restore this piece - any thoughts?

Once again, thank you very much for your help

Edit: Just seen your post Richie. I'll give that a go. I think i'll need to take the handle off because it has some serious rust issues going on!

Quote by MartinD View Post
    Thanks very much for the information - it's confirmed some of my thoughts/investigations and given me more information to work on. With regards to the AC mark - does this mean the sheath was manufactured by another company separate to the bayonet itself?
    You're welcome Yes, the sheaths were manufactured on different contracts than the bayonets, including some US manufacturers.

I think i'll need to take the handle off because it has some serious rust issues going on!
    Yes, you might as well strip it down. One 'old school' trick I have used in the past for rusty blades is using a copper coin with some oil to scrape small areas of rust away. Be careful though. Copper won't badly scratch tempered steel as it's softer. It's definitely better to underclean than overclean.

Rob

Edit: Just seen your post Richie. I'll give that a go. I think i'll need to take the handle off because it has some serious rust issues going on!
    Be careful with the screw bolts they can be rusted solid - apply lots of oil first - penetrating oil has worked for me.

I've just worked on the steel parts of the sheath with some WD40 + a toothbrush to get rid of some rust and then with some wet n dry very fine grit paper. They've come up quite well with all the rust pretty much gone and only tarnish remaining. I have some very good metal polish that will get that out I think.

I'll attack the hand at some point after having sprayed liberal amounts of WD40 over it. I'll probably let it soak overnight actually.

Given these are so common I'm guessing there's no monetary value to them however it would be 'nice' to have something like this in relatively good condition I think.

Edit: The blade itself isn't in too bad condition. Very little rust and most just darkening of the steel. I'm guessing sharpening these things isn't recommended? ... would they have been all that sharp anyway?