Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ka Bar Identification

Article about: Hi All, I have a Ka Bar Marked on the blade Ka Bar Olean NY, the blade was blackened but has been sharpened and the blacking has come off in some places. There are no markings to sheath that

?

Default Ka Bar Identification

Hi All,

I have a Ka Bar Marked on the blade Ka Bar Olean NY, the blade was blackened but has been sharpened and the blacking has come off in some places. There are no markings to sheath that i can see. Be interested in hearing any information about it

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Ka Bar IdentificationKa Bar IdentificationKa Bar Identification

I am guessing that with the thick pommel and the
    peened round tang and the blade marked (not the crossguard)
    that this might be a ww2 knife. I will need to look into it
    further to be sure.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thanks Chopperman any info would be great !

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I am guessing that with the thick pommel and the
    peened round tang and the blade marked (not the crossguard)
    that this might be a ww2 knife. I will need to look into it
    further to be sure.
    Ka-Bars were marked on the blade, Camillus were marked on the guard. I believe you are correct in that this could be a WW II issue.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks Guys , how much would i need to spend to get a knife like this?

Quote by NR72 View Post
    Thanks Guys , how much would i need to spend to get a knife like this?
    In your first post you mentioned that you "have" this knife, so, in other words you are now asking "how much is it worth?" is that correct? As I don't normally give evaluations here, there were many of these made and they are still available, I would not be willing to offer more than about $50. -$75. in this condition.
    Ralph.
    Here are a couple in my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ka Bar Identification  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I agree with Ralph.
    I hate giving evaluations. But I would personally not
    spend over $50 for one with a ground up blade.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I also agree- $50 bucks max for a much abused type of Ka-bar.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks guys, its just nice to know how much its worth, i don't want to sell it for the sake of $50. Any idea which service they were issued to, was it just the marines and the navy? is there any way of knowing where my knife would of ended up?

Quote by NR72 View Post
    Thanks guys, its just nice to know how much its worth, i don't want to sell it for the sake of $50. Any idea which service they were issued to, was it just the marines and the navy? is there any way of knowing where my knife would of ended up?
    Greetings Nathan,

These styled knives were designated by the USMC as the 1219c2 and USN as the Mark 2. You are correct, they would have been issued to both U.S. Marines and U.S. Navy personnel. As far as figuring out where a particular knife ended up, sometimes you find names/laundry type "property of" markings on the sheaths, but the reality is they were traded around and without some sort of veteran's provenance, there is really no way of determining how your knife ended up where it has. As an example, here's an U.S. Army 101st ABN DIV Paratrooper with one on his side. He probably traded with a Sailor, but even that is speculation. The point is there is always some know-it-all waiting to make blanket statements like, "no Soldier in the 101st ABN DIV would have carried a USN MkII knife." Clearly, that is not the case. Photo is courtesy of Christian Méry's book: Les couteaux et poignards US 1917 - 1945.

Regards,

Lance

Ka Bar Identification

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast