Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Knife help please

Article about: Hi folks thought id ask for help this time, i have been offered both these knives which i am told are ww2 period they seem pretty common commercial knifes to me, anyone seen them before Stev

Thanks for the replies guys, like scout says many blades were made in this style thanks to google images i have seen a few almost identical, i dont have my hands on them to look for makers marks the guy selling them runs a gun club and was given a job lot of of knifes by some old chap they dont know a deal about them but would like to move them on, as for the blood groove i thought if it was made for combat most single edged blades had them, i suppose some makers did and some did not, ive been offered both for £40, not a huge amount so maybe worth a punt, the bottom one if correct would be worth that as a relic if nothing else once those awful grips are removed.

Quote by Scout View Post

The groove is called a 'fuller' after the tool used to make the groove.

Fullers have nothing to do with whether or not the knife was meant for sticking in flesh.

A fuller will not make it easier nor more difficult to extract a blade from flesh.

Fullers are made to lighten. A comparison often used is that of an I-beam meant to lighten and reinforce and which allows for strength with less material.

Fuller are often used on longer blades. The effect on a small blade can be debated. I strongly suspect, that its there for visual appeal on a blade this small.
    LOL.....Let me dig around somewhere..i seem to remember a fuller thread I started way back when.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, like scout says many blades were made in this style thanks to google images i have seen a few almost identical, i dont have my hands on them to look for makers marks the guy selling them runs a gun club and was given a job lot of of knifes by some old chap they dont know a deal about them but would like to move them on
    Ahh okay, in that case I would ask about markings or check out the knives for said marking prior to buying them.
    The price is not bad per se, but truth be told there are loads of old knives like these for sale.
    You can get a very nice Cattaraugus 225Q for example on the auction site for 40-50 dollars.
    Depends on whether or not you need knives like these in a collection or if you just need a nice WWII period knife.

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    LOL.....Let me dig around somewhere..i seem to remember a fuller thread I started way back when.
    Dont.Even.Start

Neither William nor I am willing to talk without a lawyer present!

......besides, I have no clue as to what you refer to....

Nothing to see here - move on.

(looks down, scrapes dirt with boot)

Thanks folks i have sent him an email to see if any markings are present , love this site so much information here, i will keep you updated,
    Steve

?

IMO that is the way ahead.
    Its amazing, what can be found after a gentle cleaning.
    Ive bought WWII blades where markings were much better seen after cleaning with for example BreakFree or similar.

Thanks Scout, seen some blades described as " cut my way" mostly made by Rodgers in Sheffield they look pretty close too.
    You never know it could be something or nothing as could the other blade (German)

?

Agreed. Many knives were made like the top one....several like the German inspired blade as well.

The seller as agreed to sell me both for £30 delivered I couldnt refuse when they come I will give them a gentle clean and see what is revealed

?

Both knives are pretty far gone, but for $30 delievered you cant go wrong.

Look forward to hearing more about the markings, if any.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast