Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield Bayonet

Article about: I bought this at a local event today along with a couple of other items I paid 12 bucks for this and the guy said it was a spike ball or something ike that bayonet for the lee Enfield basicl

Default Lee Enfield Bayonet

I bought this at a local event today along with a couple of other items I paid 12 bucks for this and the guy said it was a spike ball or something ike that bayonet for the lee Enfield basicly the blade is round except at the tip and right around it which is sharpened

Default Re: Lee Enfield Bayonet

Yup, it's a No4 Mk2, a spike bayonet or a "pig sticker" I can't enlarge your photo, I can't make out the marking on the side. Some of them have the makers mark still on them, I have a few that are almost, or all the way worn off. There were 4 variations of these made during the war, the mk1 was a cruciform shape, milled from one piece of steel, the Mk2 was forged from 1 piece, but left round to make it faster and cheaper, the mk2* was made from 2 pieces, the spike was then welded to the socket, and the Mk3, the socket was cast, not forged to make them even cheaper. They also had a few different scabbards, 2 diferent metal one, 2 different plastic ones. 12 bucks was a good price.

Default Re: Lee Enfield Bayonet

It is one of the better makers. (Baird Engineering Company of Belfast) issued to (Indian Government)
    Unlike other makers of No. 4 Mk. II* bayonets, Baird secured the spike to the socket using a steel pin. Other makers welded the spike to the socket.
    Good pickup.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]