Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M1905 bayonet (16")

Article about: Hello guys, I have the opportunity to buy a M1905 bayonet made by Springfield Arms in 1918. But I have no clue about it's value. The seller wants €100 for it (\\$113). Thoughts? Thanks in adva

?

Default M1905 bayonet (16")

Hello guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a M1905 bayonet made by Springfield Arms in 1918. But I have no clue about it's value. The seller wants €100 for it ($113). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")

?

I looked quickly and it seems to be complete and in reasonably good condition but it does have the WW2 bayonet scabbard.

For info on earlier M1905 scabbards used when the bayonet was first issued, see Gary Cunningham's excellent work on the M1905 and M1910 Scabbards at:

Bayo_Points_43

I do not collect US bayonets, just Imperial German and British, but the US M1905 with scabbard will usually sell at a higher price than that. While not a spectacularly good deal, it is good and even I would be tempted to buy it. Of course, listen to others' advice, they may have other opinions.

?

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    I looked quickly and it seems to be complete and in reasonably good condition but it does have the WW2 bayonet scabbard.

For info on earlier M1905 scabbards used when the bayonet was first issued, see Gary Cunningham's excellent work on the M1905 and M1910 Scabbards at:

Bayo_Points_43

I do not collect US bayonets, just Imperial German and British, but the US M1905 with scabbard will usually sell at a higher price than that. While not a spectacularly good deal, it is good and even I would be tempted to buy it. Of course, listen to others' advice, they may have other opinions.
    Yes his website is amazing, I've read quite alot about these bayonets now. I know it is the WW2 scabbard, but I think I like it more anyways. Thanks for your advice! I really had no clue if it was a good deal or not. They're quite rare here.

?

Its missing most of the original finish from the blade which considering the good condition of the handle and pommel makes me think someone might have tried cleaning it off.

I've got two of these bayonets, both were purchased from eBay for US$150 but they don't come up often that cheaply. On eBay these WW2 US army scabbards seem to go for about $100 by themselves. Considering you don't live in the US, I'd be buying this one.

Alex

?

Picked up quite a few of those over the years. Original finish has been scrubbed on this one for some reason, but still a very reasonable price for what it is
    Regards,
    John

If you don't have a 16" this is a good place to start. $113 is a good price even though it is not the best example, its still a 16" 1905 with a WWII scabbard that could be worth that much to the right person. I would buy it for my first.

William

?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Picked up quite a few of those over the years. Original finish has been scrubbed on this one for some reason, but still a very reasonable price for what it is
    Quote by wpheaton View Post
    If you don't have a 16" this is a good place to start. $113 is a good price even though it is not the best example, its still a 16" 1905 with a WWII scabbard that could be worth that much to the right person. I would buy it for my first.

William
    Thanks! I'll probably buy it. Here's some pictures of the blade condition.

M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")

Quote by gerb View Post
    Thanks! I'll probably buy it. Here's some pictures of the blade condition.

M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")M1905 bayonet (16")
    It appears someone has tried to sharpen it, what a shame. Why don't people just leave them alone?

William

?

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    It appears someone has tried to sharpen it, what a shame. Why don't people just leave them alone?

William
    Yeah I thought the same, ah well... Still worth the 100 euro's in your opinion? I still think so, I dont need the best of the best quality anyways, I like the history of them.