Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M3 airborne knife

Article about: I found this knife at a flea market not too long ago. After doing some research I found that it is an M3 airborne knife.. I didn’t pay too much for it, so if it turns out to be fake, it wo

?

Default M3 airborne knife

I found this knife at a flea market not too long ago. After doing some research I found that it is an M3 airborne knife.. I didn’t pay too much for it, so if it turns out to be fake, it would be a cheap learning lesson. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me more about it and if it is a real one.
    Thank You!!

Here are some pics:

M3 airborne knife

M3 airborne knife

I think it has a good chance of being the real deal. Closer pictures of the
    blade stamping and of the butt cap would be real helpful.

Usually refered to as the M3 Trench knife, you can find some good examples
    to compare against in this thread ------
    Can I See Your Trench Knives?
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Nice knife as stated not just for airborne. I got a really nice one that a tanker used .Gary

?

Thank you for the replies guys,
    Here are some more pics:

M3 airborne knife

M3 airborne knife

I would call this one a reproduction as I have not ever seen a pommel connection like this or a blade marking like this for a H. Boker. The back cut on the blade does not appear correct either. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
    John

Greetings all,

Never been much of a fan of the M3 series of knives. Yes, they are a far more practical/useful/superior design than the US Army's WWI trench knives. However, in terms of my personal collecting there look never inspired interest. I own a few M3s but only because they came with other knives in groups' purchases. Anyways, there are three types of Boker made M3, Knives. The blade marked single tang, blade marked double tang (as in viewed in the OP of this thread) and the later crossguard marked single tang variant. You may view examples of each here Boker M3 - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum and here Boker M3 Trench Knives Double & Single Tang - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum I believe the knife posted on this thread is an original, just well used. There are Boker made reproductions, but (I believe) they were all blade marked and single tang variants.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. As already mentioned these were issued/used by all Army Ground Forces and in limited quantities to the US Army Air Corps. The misleading "Airborne" use is one of those eBay descriptors used to garner more bids and interest in a particular sale.

MAP
    ?

Well Boker is a German manufacturer based in Solingen Germany. But they did have a US company (H. Boker & Co) up till 1940 and made M3's

Dang: Lance beat me too it. That's that what happens when you forget to hit Send while multitasking....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Lance,
    Thanks for those links.
    I have never seen a double tang M3 before.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I have not ever seen the double tang before either. Stands a chance but I still have my doubts.
    John

Is the scabbard marked M8 or M8A1?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast