Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M3 and M6 blade dated

Article about: Hi Andrew, I wouldn't worry about the 5/8 Class III strap webbing on the M8A1 scabbard, this is quite common, the colour of the webbing will depend on who made it and when (what time of the

?

Default M3 and M6 blade dated

He gents,
    i dont have to many U.S blades. i thought i would share my M-3. she is not the bell of the ball, or in mint shape. it was field carried, and shows it's use. most of the grey phosphate finish is still on the blade, has some very light surface crud, it has not been cleand since it was brought home. still has dirt in the grooves on the grip.
    it is made by imperial and marked on the blade. my understanding is this style was not made very long.
    i also have a knuckle duster that i'm not familiar with as far as time frame of use. i'm sure its U.S but no markings on it that i can find, other than the numbers 110 stamped inside the knuckle 's. any help would be great.
    thank you andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M3 and M6 blade dated   M3 and M6 blade dated  

M3 and M6 blade dated   M3 and M6 blade dated  

?

Default Re: M3 and M6 blade dated

That knuckle duster looks bad, bro. I've not collected much in the way of US steel. Perhaps I should. Thanks for sharing.

The M3 is a favorite of military knife collectors. Myself included.

I don't think it would be a crime to "clean" the blade, or at least oil it lightly to take the rust off, and to keep more rust from forming.
    Leather tends to hold moisture and the blade will eventually rust all over.........

Nice knuckle knife too! These tend to be quite rare, and have particular features......
    I'll have to go and look this one up !

Regards, Steve.

?

thanks Steve,
    i should clean the m3 a bit, but then some one will scream it's better as is. i'll let who ever owns it next decide. but i should oil the blade.
    i hope you can find some info on the knuckle duster, because i cant. thanks
    andrew

Barryeye
    ?

I have to agree with Steve here. The M3 is popular with collectors and it also has a special appeal of its own. It is my favorite military knife. Perhaps not the best ever designed but for looks and feel few come close.
    I think it would be a crime to let it remain in that state. Remember.
    Preservation.
    Restoration.
    Desecration.

I.M.H.O. Only the first should not be open to debate. If you want that lovely M3 to be admired in another 60 years I think you should do the minimum to keep it preserved. I am sure that the original owner of that knife would not recognize it as it is now. Time has done that and it can only get worse. It is no longer as was. The leather washers on the M3 tend to shrink with age and go brittle and dry. Feed them. Keep the dirt in a test tube if you like. While you’re at it feed and clean the scabbard. A light grade wire wool and oil will do wonders for the blade.
    Collector’s items such as this are a valid link with the past. We collectors, enthusiast are merely their present custodians. We owe it to the next generations to look after what we have.

?

just so you undersand this is how the original owner gave it to me. he brought it home this dirty, and put it away with some other items. i have not touched it because it was brought home that way. some people like the salty look, some like ground dug. we are all kinds. i'm just going by all the comments i have heard and seen on other things. "you clean it you kill the value." but i should put some oil on it and rub off some of the minor crust on the blade. the dirt in the grip can stay. who ever own's it next can decide on it, i dont think it will hurt the leather after this long. but as it stands, it is in brought back condition. the leather though dark in places, is still sturdy and flexable. some day, some one will make me an offer i cant refuse on all my stuff.

no one knows about the knuckle duster ??

?

Probably best to clean the blade lightly with oil, and preserve what original finishes its left. What I would recommend is to wrap the blade in grease proof paper which has had a layer of engine oil applied to the inner surface, my dad you'd to do this with old tools such as saw blades, and the engine oil and the grease proofed paper help to lift the rust out of the steel, plus it will replenish the parked areas of the steel as Parkerizing is quite porous and is designed to take oil into the finish. As to the scabbard again it could be light cleaned with a hide food such as Libron leather cleaner, but I would not store the blade in the scabbard as vegetable tanned leather is acidic due to the nature of the hide preservation process, as this can cause the kind of corrosion that can be seen on your M3, as depending on how well the hide was washed out after tanning, will depend how acidic the leather ends up.

As to your knuckle duster knife I would say that its a field made modification base on the LF&C commando first or second pattern fighting knuckle knife of WW1, even the leather washer handle has the same profile and shape, as to the hand guard/knuckle duster section, this looks like it was a pre formed stamped component (drive or timing sprocket?) that was also modified to fit the M3 blade. I have seen similar M3 knife mod's, however as with all such things as to when and who did the modifying its impossible to tell without providence or more research on the item, was it 60 years ago in Normandy or 6 months ago in Paris Texas. I had a Middle East pattern British Commando knife for many years and again I never knew if it was the real deal or not, but with some things its a bit of a punt, a leap of faith or for that matter a good hunch.

Nige.

P.S are there any markings on the M8/ M8A1 scabbard such as VP plus a number, also what makers name is on the press studs ? it should be United Carr.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

I like those Mark 3's the best. I really think you got some good pointers here. Preserving it in my opinion is a good idea. A little oil on the blade and some quality leather preservative would be my choice if I were the next guy to own it.
    Mike

?

hi nige,
    thank you for the advice on the m-3.
    the knuckle knife is in a us m8a1 sheath B.M.Co i notice the grip strap is a different color green than the rest, but it looks armory attached. hard to believe looking at the construction that it could be field made, but anything is possable. the whole thing is rock solid tight. the handguard is blued like the blade. the leather washer grip was varnished, much is soming off. the even and flat finger grips are well defined. and right in the middle of the inside of the bow is stamped l l 0 or vise versa depending on how you look at it lol. its just put together so well. like factory ? it just has me curious.
    thanks guys
    andrew

Barryeye
    ?

I do hope that my post did not cause offence Andrew. I assure you that was not my intent. I stress that my next comments are just my opinion again.
    Is it likely that the past owner carried the knife in service in that condition? If not and it is unlikely that he did then the knife may have been stored badly since his return and it being given to you. Rust never sleeps and I doubt that the original owner was aware that his prized souvenir was corroding to such a degree. I see no reason why an item should not be frozen in time in the condition it is found but I draw the line at letting it continue to corrode to a point where it must in time loose all value. Like I said in my first post. I feel preservation is vital. Restoration is an open option and a debate that arms collectors have carried on for years.
    Didn’t the Americans recently raise a Civil War submarine? I don’t think that this valuable historical artifact should have been left on the sea bed. I also don’t think that it should have been raised and left with the “salty” look. What do you think?

My M3s are also far from mint but they are not deteriorating. At least future collectors will be able to debate what to do with my ones but unpreserved specimens be they ground dug or salty and allowed to break down will not be around for them to talk about.

Any bayonet collector will tell you that there are many old bayonets around in good condition but lacking scabbards. Fact is that leather just dose not survive as well as steel and wood.

I don’t recommend that you polish and refinish the blade. I do recommend that you stop the rust.

I appreciate that mine is not the only view on this subject but I do believ it is the most common one amongst serious collectors.
    It would be a funny old world if we all agreed on every thing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast