Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M3 and M6 blade dated

Article about: Hi Andrew, I wouldn't worry about the 5/8 Class III strap webbing on the M8A1 scabbard, this is quite common, the colour of the webbing will depend on who made it and when (what time of the

?

Default Re: M3 and M6 blade dated

Hi Andrew,
    I wouldn't worry about the 5/8 Class III strap webbing on the M8A1 scabbard, this is quite common, the colour of the webbing will depend on who made it and when (what time of the year) as the colour of the dye will vary from month to month due to the change in the PH of the water from spring through to winter. Plus during world war two the dyes used for the canvas and webbing were mixed by eye and skill and not by machine.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

thanks Nige.

Barryeye, honestly no offence taken at all. i was only trying to explain my thoughts. i think i come across differently in text than i i intend to. i agree with stoping any more damage from rust. with a little clean up, what do you figure it's worth these days ?
    andrew

Barryeye
    ?

Hi Andrew
    So pleased that no offence was taken. This is my first time on this forum and I don’t want to upset anyone. Can’t give you much advice about prices. I now live in New Zealand and we are a bit out of kilter with much of the world. I own 4 M3s and one M3 repro. My uncle Lou gave me my first M3 when I was 14 years old and living in London. I am now 61. I fell in love with it and feel guilty about using it as a camp knife when traveling around Europe in my younger days. Found out that it was great for throwing (broke and lost the cross guard). You must remember that when I was a kid these were more army surplus then collectors items. Picked up one more in the U.K and two more here in New Zealand. Also managed to pick up a parts knife that enable bled me to replace the cross guard on my first one. I must now be the only owner of an M3 blade marked Utica with an M3 Imperial cross guard. Still it is my first M3 and I would not part with it.
    I must tell you that I love your M3 regardless of the condition. None of mine have the original leather scabbards. Were I not planning a trip to London this year I’d try and buy it off you. As many have said, the M3 is a knife mans knife. It feels and looks right. It was also the basis for most modern military bayonets starting with the M4. Yes I am also an M1 Carbine fan.
    Much of the U.S Army passed through N.Z. on their way to and from the Pacific. Yet M3s are not too common here . Can’t blame the grunts. I’d not want to part with mine. It is 25 years since I last added an M3 to my collection. Paid $75NZ (about US$40) and my mates laughed at me. Who’s laughing now. Thousands of surplus M3s were “donated” to Vietnam. Heaven knows where they are now but leather grips don’t like tropical conditions.
    If I were you I’d keep your M3 or sell it to a bloke in New Zealand for a give away price.
    Picture is me with my first M3. 40 years ago in Norway.
    Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images M3 and M6 blade dated 

?

Mod, please kill this thread. Its making want a m3.

PS, I just obtained some of that ren wax. Only using on metal, but so far I like it. 15 bucks for a small container that will last me forever.

FWIW, I agree that the knife should be preserved with some form rust abatement. Then, Andrew can ship it to me and ill wax it up.

?

no problem at all barry, welcome to the forum. i hope you enjoy it here. a guy gets to see things he would not see other places. i know i have.
    i am mainly a german blade collector. the american blades just come my way. i dont usually keep many of them, but the fighting and trench knives caught my interest. i dont know much more about them, other than i like them. if your interested in seeing my other blades, they are posted in the collection display area.
    My U.S items
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...-blades-14985/
    there are other threads too , but you might enjoy the look.
    i hope you have a good time here barry, and meet some nice people as i have. show your collection when you get a chance.
    i'm in the America by the way.
    andrew

?

lol drdata carefull what you wish for.
    andrew

Barryeye
    ?

Just checked out your pictures Andrew. Now that is what I call a collection. Makes my motley miscellaneous odds and sods look quite sad. There is no theme to my collection. Mostly military and a few civilian. Just what comes my way or I take a liking to. Budget controls me a lot. I am also into firearms and H.M.S. Victory related items, mostly old postcards. Oh yes and classic air rifles. I am not the most organized of collectors.
    Thank you for your warm welcome. Already I have found a chap who may be able to help me I.D. a post war German gravity knife I own.

?

ok i did some light cleaning on the m-3 . leather conditioner on the grip, and light gun oil on the blade. after letting the oil sit on the blade over night, the light rust came off pretty easy. i whiped it down and lightly oiled it again. it does look better.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M3 and M6 blade dated   M3 and M6 blade dated  

M3 and M6 blade dated  

Barryeye
    ?

A joy to see. If only they could talk.

?

thanks Baryeye,
    shes still not the bell of the ball, but she cleaned up pretty good. i wanted to leave the parkerizing so i did not get to carried away cleaning.

now i can tease drdata with it even more lol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast