Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonet

Article about: Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys could help me with this bayonet. It is in rough condition and needs to be cleaned up. I was wondering if anyone had a formula or something to clean it w

Default Need help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonet

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys could help me with this bayonet. It is in rough condition and needs to be cleaned up. I was wondering if anyone had a formula or something to clean it without hurting the value. Need help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonetNeed help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonetNeed help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonetNeed help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonet Sorry for the crappy quality, I took the pictures on my Ipad. I could use all the help I can get.

Default Re: Need help with WWI 1907 pattern lee enfield m1 mk3 bayonet

It is really beyond 'cleaning' and has minimal value, IMO.
    The best thing to do is give it a wipedown with
    some light oil.........
    Regards,

Steve.

That isn't true. It was cleaning up with an eraser oddly enough but I was hoping there was a quicker way. I can post a pic tomorrow to prove it.

cleaned up with an eraser? it would be a terrible mistake to do anything to it. doing so will pretty much render it no value. its worth something however as an authentic WWI battlefield relic

don't do anything to it.

All that comes off of it is like a thin but hard layer of grime or dirt. So now I'm not sure what to do.

NCA
    ?

Some very fine wire wool and oil wouldnt hurt it..just as long as its not polished back bright.With carful use of wool and oil you can lift the surface rust off just enough to reveal some of the markings.
    These bayonets have to pretty good to have any real value.

I thought of that but I had hoped it wouldn't resort to that because I'm not the super carful type if you know what I mean.

Quote by Lockley16 View Post
    I thought of that but I had hoped it wouldn't resort to that because I'm not the super carful type if you know what I mean.
    Hi, but you will have to be.
    Collecting and preserving these pieces and relics require a steady and careful touch.
    Take your time when doing something, you will enjoy it and these relics will be preserved for a bit longer.
    Thats the all point of cleaning/preserving historic pieces.

Anyway keep collecting and enjoy the hobby.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Ok, so can I just pick up the fine wool and oil at Home Depot or does it have to be like a specialty store that I have never heard about. Also what is the oil, like linseed oil or something else.

NCA
    ?

Whats home depot?Is that a general hardware store?Fine wire wool you can get from most places that sell tools..any woodworking suppliers near you?And the oil is just general household oil.In the uk its called 3 in 1 oil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast