Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

No 4 Bayonet in Victory Plastics Scabbard

Article about: Hi all. Picked up this minty example yesterday. As such I am unaware of fakes of these scabbards so think it is a good one. I have not found any picture of these scabbards in use yet. Does a

Default No 4 Bayonet in Victory Plastics Scabbard

Hi all. Picked up this minty example yesterday. As such I am unaware of fakes of these scabbards so think it is a good one. I have not found any picture of these scabbards in use yet. Does anyone know of any? Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No 4 Bayonet in Victory Plastics Scabbard   No 4 Bayonet in Victory Plastics Scabbard  

No 4 Bayonet in Victory Plastics Scabbard   No 4 Bayonet in Victory Plastics Scabbard  

?

In Graham Priest's definitive book on the No.4 bayonet, "The Spirit of the Pike" on page 150, he shows one in wear by a member of the Grenadier Guards Armoured Division.

The VP - made scabbards are not commonly seen and probably spent most of their lives in storage before being surplussed. Many collectors seem to think that they were made for Savage bayonets but Savage had the standard steel scabbards made by a contractor in the US for all of their bayonets sent to England, the Victory Plastics scabbards were for replacement use only.

I have one example in my collection but no pictures in wear or provenance to the user. I believe they were issued and not just replacements. The examples I have seen have been with bayonets in equal condition as in issued and used together. No proof of that since they could have been paired up a later date.
    John

?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    I have one example in my collection but no pictures in wear or provenance to the user. I believe they were issued and not just replacements. The examples I have seen have been with bayonets in equal condition as in issued and used together. No proof of that since they could have been paired up a later date.
    John
    The photo I spoke about above shows one of three men wearing the VP scabbard, the others are carrying their bayonets in the standard scabbard.

The VP scabbards were sent from America without bayonets and Savage and Long Branch both manufactured enough standard pattern scabbards to use for the bayonets they manufactured. The Victory Plastics scabbards were meant to be issued as needed to replace damaged items or in case the standard scabbards were in short supply.