Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet

Article about: Hi All, I bought this when I was 10 years old from the army surplus store in my town. I loved the surplus store as a kid. How do you determine the year of a British No. 4 MK2? Is it stamped?

Default No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet

Hi All, I bought this when I was 10 years old from the army surplus store in my town. I loved the surplus store as a kid.

How do you determine the year of a British No. 4 MK2? Is it stamped? I didn't look too close when I took the picture. They're pretty common, right?

Looks like the tip is broken... BATTLE DAMAGE! It just went from $20 to $200 in worth!
    (just being facetious)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

?

Default Re: No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet

Quote by flash developer View Post
    Hi All,
    Wasn't sure if I should have posted this in edged weapons, but it doesn't really have an edge... correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought this when I was 10 years old from the army surplus store in my town. I loved the surplus store as a kid.

How do you determine the year of a British No. 4 MK2? Is it stamped? I didn't look too close when I took the picture. They're pretty common, right?

Looks like the tip is broken... BATTLE DAMAGE! It just went from $20 to $200 in worth!
    (just being facetious)

That's a nice looking "pig-sticker" bayonet in decent condition mate.
    I assume that when you say that it "looks like the tip is broken", you are referring to the diagonal slant on it, dont worry, they were made like that.
    This bayonet was designed as an economy measure and with one object in mind.....to cause maximum penetration thereby causing maximum internal damage to the person on the receiving end.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: As an aside, this particular style of bayonet could be fitted to the Mk5 Sten and to the later issued entrenching tool helves (that had a metal fitting at the end), for use as an improvised "mine probe"
    Last edited by jimpy; 06-17-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Addition

LOL!
    Thanks Jimpy! For all these years I thought is was damaged...

Is it worth much? I'm not selling it, I'm building my collection(very slowly...). I've read that they are fairly common and this site

My Collection, Bayo-Hunter

listed three No. 4 MK2s but they all have different years. Is there a way to determine the year?. My bayonet is back in storage but I plan to reexamine it this weekend.

You've already helped me so much and I thank you!

?

Hi FD

Somewhere on it, (usually near the boss), there should be the WD arrow marker with a date stamp, it may also have a manufacturers code with it.
    HOWEVER, a lot of these bayonets, (and SMLE No4 rifles.....according to my references, over a MILLION!) were also manufactured in the US by Stevens Savage of Chicopee Falls, Mass' and are marked with that company's boxed S device)

Weapons it was used with were, as I said before, the Mk5 Sten smg, but mainly with the SMLE No4.

They are a fairly common weapon and, like all bayonets, can be found in various conditions from mint to "crap".

Unfortunately I cannot give you a value, but I believe that, over here in the UK, they run from about £15GBP upwards dependant on condition

Hope that this is of some help.

Regards etc

Ian D

Hello Flash,
    The bayonet you have is for the No 4 rifle, commonly known as a 'Pig Sticker'. Without the scabbard they retail for about £4, complete with scabbard and frog about £11.
    The sten version is different and not so common, they are about £40-45.
    I believe there is a cruciform bayonet but have not found one yet.
    I'm sure one of our members will be able to give you more information.
    I don't have a picture to hand at present but if you Google it you will find a selection of types with various prices.
    All best,
    navyman.

?

FG and Navyman

There is a cruciform pig-sticker listed on the website link that FG has shown in the original posting.
    Personally I have never seen or handled the cruciform version but I have the "normal" version more than once.
    I believe that there were about 4 or 5 variations of this bayonet, but, as usual, I am willing to stand corrected by others more knowledgeable than me.

Regards etc

Ian D

Hi Guys, I am sure I have shown all of mine on the forum in the past, but here is the rare cruciform type which Guy has mentioned.

I would say that Guy has under rated the value of the rare Sten type. A fake will sell for about £40. An original would be more like £250?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

Here is my other one, this time a relic dug up on the South Coast on a former training area.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Now thats just showing off Mr Stevenson

Sorry I could not resist

I should add that this type is widely faked.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast