Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet

Article about: Hi All, I bought this when I was 10 years old from the army surplus store in my town. I loved the surplus store as a kid. How do you determine the year of a British No. 4 MK2? Is it stamped?

Default Re: No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet

Originals used to be as common as army penknifes. Used to be able to pick them up in the late 70's for a couple of quid. Now they are being faked
    Regards to all, Simon.

Here is another bayonet from my collection, this time a No. 4 Mk. II*

It is housed in a plastic scabbard. No one seems to know who actually made this pattern of scabbard? US collectors have termed it a MKIII, but I am very hesitant to use this term.

The marking on the bayonet itself are badly struck and indistinct, but it can only come from one of four possible makers.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet   No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

Now the first of three Canadian Long Branch made No4 MKII's. This one is seen here in a 1944 pattern web frog.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet   No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

Here is another Long Branch made example. Not quite so well finished with some evident milling marks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

And a final better finished example.

Scabbard throats are sometimes, but not always, marker marked and are often over looked.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

The FAKE Sten gun bayonet:

I have a repro of one of these, which I bought as such for re-enactment. I bought it from the British dealer "World Wide Arms" . They had them made in India. One has to be careful and ask if the item is original or not, as they have a tendency not to state things clearly. A curious thing was the grip was duabed with crudely painted red line around it? Why, I have no idea? I have removed the paint. Another curious thing is the scabbard is fake too. I expected them simply to use old original No4 bayonet scabbards. The ball ended chape is different to an original and has a turned groove above it.

Here are some pics. I have rubbed a bit of chalk into the stamps so they shown up a bit better.

Cheers, Ade.

No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet   No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet  

Ade, I agree with you, World Wide Arms have a bad habbit of saying things like 'Pattern' when refering to an item they are selling, leading the would be buyer to think that they are buying an original pattern item, when instead the item is a Repro made to the originals Pattern.
    Regards, Simon.

Hello Ade,
    I think my prices guess may be a bit out of date!
    Here are a couple of pic's of the ones I havn't sold on.
    Pic 1; A No 9 bayonet on my No4 rifle.
    Pic 2; L>R
    'Pig sticker' No 4 Mk II
    No 9 dated 1942
    No 9 Plated, ceremonial or guard, Mk I, 1952, (S/N 254014)
    Hope this is of some help?
    Cheers Guy.

That takes me back - my very first bayonet was a No4 MkII - cost me 50 pence from Exchange & Mart - that was a long time ago !

Still collecting - just rather more costly nowadays.

Spirit of the Pike by Graham Priest (I think) is the book for these bayonets.

World Wide Arms - some good stuff and some ... er ... less so, if you know what I mean.

Richie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2